2002 5.3l for my swap

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
^^That right there. I was rollin around for a while with a stock $400 5.3l until I found my 6.0l. Being able to drive and enjoy the car was the priceless factor. Stock 5.3l even with the T56 6spd and 3.89 Gears in the back was fun.

Put the cheap engine in, workout all the bugs and get it going good, then put a nice one in.
Yep.....been in both positions myself.....the hopeless feeling of facing a seemingly never ending project.....with the project completely torn down in my garage........ and breaking things up into manageable projects with an emphasis on keeping the car on the road.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Some classify the ~2004+ gen 3 with gen 4 internals as a gen 4......some call it gen 3.5.....regardless of what you call it, an 04-06ish lq4 is the holy grail of ls truck engines.
Yup. Full floating Rods, Knock Sensors bosses on the sides of the Block and in the Valley, had a Gen IV Cam Sprocket in it. I think it's even setup for a Timing Chain Dampener. Came from a fleet van that was light use and oil changed every 5k miles. Rear ended and destroyed.

The 2004 5.3l I had was full floating Rods also. That started with all of them in 2004. Knock Sensors in the Valley with Cam Sensor in the back I call them Gen 3 still. Definitely some cross over in there.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yup. Full floating Rods, Knock Sensors bosses on the sides of the Block and in the Valley, had a Gen IV Cam Sprocket in it. I think it's even setup for a Timing Chain Dampener. Came from a fleet van that was light use and oil changed every 5k miles. Rear ended and destroyed.

The 2004 5.3l I had was full floating Rods also. That started with all of them in 2004. Knock Sensors in the Valley with Cam Sensor in the back I call them Gen 3 still. Definitely some cross over in there.

My 2004 5.3 does not have Gen4 internals. :cry:

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hate to say it, but it has to be said :

You’ve let the magic out

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Hate to say it, but it has to be said :

You’ve let the magic out

He could do similar to what you did, pistons/rods and add some send (and compression since he's probably staying NA). But yeah, the magic is now gone.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If he’s this far, put cam bushings, oil pump, cam plate seal and new barbell in it. Check the ring lands and put it all back together using the all of the one time use bolts a second time. Lap the valves in, make sure they aren’t leaking, new valve seals, a new cam that normal SBC/SBF guys claim is ‘too big’ and let r eat.

For a newcomer to an LS, it’s hard to not do the full rebuild, but it’s just not worth it.

Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Never done a Barbell or Cam Plate in any I've done. This here all new Bearings & Rings, clean Block up and assemble with all bottom end Bolts. New MLS Head Gaskets & Bolts, Port Polished Melling HV Pump and let it eat.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor