2004R FLUID SUGGESTION AND SHIFTING ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I recently started to drive and shake down an 83 wagon i bought awhile ago. Finally got it raod ready and have been trying to rack up some miles to see what still needs attention. it has a 350 300horse crate motor and what i believe is a stock 2004r with 4.10's in the rear. my issue is with the 2004r. last few days it has been hesitating to down shift from 2nd to first and almost stalls the cars before finally down shifting. milage of trans is unknown aswell as what fluid is in it . been doing some research and it is all over the place some people like dextron 3.some dextron 6 . some say do not use synthetic. Type f fluid seems to be popular also.

setup now is edelbrock carb,no relocation bracket on carb for tv. just has stud for tv cable bolted to arm.(all the brackets severly misalighn the cable.)
stock gm montecarlo ss throttle/tv bracket
stock trans unkown milage
believe stock monte ss converter
lockup is currently controlled via flip switch with pressure switch on outside of case.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
In the past my car stalled at takeoff and sometimes coming to a stop. It turned out to be a bad converter and pump. Once in awhile I would hit the gas from a dead stop and the car acted like I hit the brakes. transmission all of a sudden just acted weird, shifting funny, and that led to the new converter.

As far as transmission fluid I always use whatever product says it is compatible with dex/ merc and never had an issue. When I changed my cooling lines I used some Vavoline ATF Dextron III/Mercon to top off what I had lost from the change and that I have used in the past when changing my fluid and filter with no issues. I never tried synthetic transmission fluid but I wonder if the same issues apply when using synthetic oil in a high mileage engine where everything starts leaking from old seals? Others on here have more experience in that area.

It might be worth dropping the pan, changing the filter, and see what happens with some clean fluid.

Good luck.

Jeff

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
TV cable adjustment is important and can cause all sorts of trouble if not within parameters.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You need proper geometry and full pull at full throttle. It could also be a sticking TCC solenoid. I have used Dex 3 an Dex 6 without issue. If you have any amount of leakage, Dex 6 is a thinner fluid but it is at minimum a part synthetic fluid but superior to the Dex 3 spec.

Reactions: 1 user

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
Already picked up fluids and a filter kit. Will be doing that tomarrow morning. Also as as a precaution ordered up a new tv cable incase this one is just stretched and not operating properly. Just alittle apprehensive not knowing what fluid was in trans from the start or age of fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor