2004r seems to shift early into 2nd gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Been trying to get my 2004r to shift correctly since it was rebuilt. It used to skip 2nd gear and go right into 3rd. I have been adjusting to TV cable a click at time and now it holds 2nd perfect but does not hold 1st very long. Should I keep adjusting or try a GN Govenor? Here is a short clip. http://youtu.be/F-5HMae6lYc

I'll look through my old threads to see if I can find some adjustment tips. It should pretty much adjust itself upon opening the throttle all the way open if everything is setup right. While I'm finding that info, what kind of carb are you running? When I switched from q-jet to holley I had to buy a geometry correcting bracket.

Edit: I'm talking about the TV cable in case you didn't know. I forgot to mention that..

Here's some info on adjusting that cable. It's a couple posts down in this old thread. You should be able to see diagrams:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17533

Thanks man I appreciate the info! I have a holley and I hope I have the correct bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_20120619_205932.jpg
    IMG_20120619_205932.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,780
looks like you have the right geometry corrector bracket but the tv cable should go straight back and it looks like its at an angle so that can be effecting your adjustments.. push in the tv cable tab and pull the housing all the way back towards the firewall this should make the cable as short as possible, then press the gas pedal all the way down and you should hear clicks from the cable adjusting itself..from there if you make the cable shorter it will bring the shifts sooner letting it out delays them, adjust one click at a time each will make a big difference

ZZ4CutlaSS said:
Thanks man I appreciate the info! I have a holley and I hope I have the correct bracket.

No prob. I just went out and looked. You've got the same bracket in the same spot, so that's all good. Only difference is that the adjustment tab is facing the passenger side, but unless that's causing some sort of a bind for you then I don't think it matters much. Well, one more difference being that my tv cable looks like a rigged bicycle brake cable but I reeeaaally don't wanna talk about how that happened.. 😳 Anyway, I guess try adjusting it one more time and if that doesn't work then you'll have to find someone more "in the know" than me. So:
:bump:

Lastly, my trans doesn't have a GN governor, but for comparison, my trans gets up to about 4k rpms before shifting under WOT.

ZZ4CutlaSS said:
Been trying to get my 2004r to shift correctly since it was rebuilt. It used to skip 2nd gear and go right into 3rd. I have been adjusting to TV cable a click at time and now it holds 2nd perfect but does not hold 1st very long. Should I keep adjusting or try a GN Govenor? Here is a short clip. http://youtu.be/F-5HMae6lYc
At what rpms is the trans shifting gears? What stall are you using? If its shifting too early, the engine would bog down, or lose momentum, but the video shows that its keeping a pretty good power range....Id be pretty satisfied w/that take off.

Don't the 2004R's have a short first gear?

84clonewars said:
Don't the 2004R's have a short first gear?
2.74 for the 200-4R stock...3.06 for the 700r4, stock.....they can be changed of course

ZZ4CutlaSS said:

I have the same motor/transmission combo installed last year that you have. I FINALLY got it to shift where it is supposed to.

I used this bracket as I have the Vortec heads.

images

If you are going into the second and then third that quickly you do not have enough tension and are burning up the transmission. Stop driving asap. Push the tab for the Tv cable in push the slider in all the way. Realese both, the turn the throttle manually to WOT. So how many clicks it makes and guestimate how many centimeters the slider moves out. Repeat the same steps but this time have a second person step on the gas pedal to WOT (car off of course). See if the results are the same and get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor