2004R TORQUE CONVERTER QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Unless he drives a lot of 80 mph highway driving or is planning 20" tall tires, his RPM will be too low. He will be at 1700 RPM at 60 mph with a 25.9" tall tire. At 80 only 2200 RPM with the converter locked up, way too low for that cam. I find this calculator is very accurate with the converter locked up. http://tech.oldsgmail.com/axle_RPM.php
I ran a bit lower rpm with 2.78 gears with the Qjet leaned right out and struggled to hit 20 mpg imperial with only a 214/214 cam, he has no hope of mileage with 100 more ci and a 244 duration cam. Even a 3.70 or 3.90 should be considered with a taller tire. I hope he realizes there will be 2 grand in upgraded parts alone for a 2004R to live behind big torque.

Thanks for the info! and yes i'm going to have the trans rebuilt and beefed up before i install it. just trying to plan ahead and see what all i might need. i do plan on doing some highway trips with it but fuel economy isnt a huge factor. just trying to keep the rpm's down on the highway is my biggest goal.
i'm going to be running the gnx 16's with a 245/50/16 tire and with that link, it says my rpms should be around 2150ish at 70 which is where i want to be

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
2600 to 2800 is fine for your setup. That cam reminds me of a W30 spec. I had David husek at Turbobuick Performance build my 200r4 and a custom made torque converter for my olds 461. Spec on the converter 2800 stall flashes at 3000 and its a lock up. Some advice on an olds 455, torque comes in quick and if your 200r4 is not built for it you will snap that input shaft in the trans.

that's what the cam is modeled after you are correct. i picked it up from olds rocket parts. and thanks for the info its much appreciated!

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
My understanding too is that a large torque engine like that will make the stall higher by a couple hundred RPM. An advertised 2400 stall may flash at 2600 behind a 455. As recommended, talk to an expert at the company you go with to get all the specs factored in.

That 2 grand upgrade on trans alone is pretty accurate if it's going to live trouble free.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My understanding too is that a large torque engine like that will make the stall higher by a couple hundred RPM. An advertised 2400 stall may flash at 2600 behind a 455. As recommended, talk to an expert at the company you go with to get all the specs factored in.

That 2 grand upgrade on trans alone is pretty accurate if it's going to live trouble free.

Hutch
This is true, most rate around 230 to 275 ft/lbs, so big torque like your motor will push your stall speed sky high. Hughes for example require higher input torque to reach the advertised stall. Contact whoever you decide on to make sure it will stall where you want it.

Reactions: 1 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
We have a very reputable speed shop with an engine dyno here in town, so i'm going to have them dyno it so i know exactly where the toqrue curve is at. and they also do transmission rebuilds so i'll probably have them just build it to match the dyno results.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Unless this "speed shop" has a list of happy 2004r customers you are probably better off to get it overhauled by a place with a list of happy 2004r customers. This isn't a th350/400 and requires a certain level of knowledge to get it "right".

Reactions: 1 user
We have a very reputable speed shop with an engine dyno here in town, so i'm going to have them dyno it so i know exactly where the toqrue curve is at. and they also do transmission rebuilds so i'll probably have them just build it to match the dyno results.
Extreme Automatics is in Cincinnati, not that far from Indy.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Extreme Automatics is in Cincinnati, not that far from Indy.

Yeah I actually called them on Friday. They told me they wouldn’t rebuild mine but they would sell me the rebuild kit or a complete transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I actually called them on Friday. They told me they wouldn’t rebuild mine but they would sell me the rebuild kit or a complete transmission

Hmm, seems odd that a transmission shop would sell a kit instead of rebuilding it. Did he want yours for a core? I heard he is usually crazy busy during racing season.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Hmm, seems odd that a transmission shop would sell a kit instead of rebuilding it. Did he want yours for a core? I heard he is usually crazy busy during racing season.

Yes he wanted mine as a core if i bought a new one through him. But had to have a certain code on the trans or it would be less money returned on the core because of the different valve bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor