200r4 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

layedoutregal

Greasemonkey
using the stock trans and torque converter on my 87 buick 200r4, its computer controlled for the lock up right? what if i was to replace the converter with a non lock up would that work, im sure someone has asked this before but i dont have the time to research it, thanks

I've done that in the past. Or you can just buy an aftermarket lockup control kit from B&M or similar. I'd just stay away from the ones that are vacuum operated as they don't work very well.

The cheapest solution would be to wire in a switch and just switch the lockup manually.

If you go the non-lockup converter route, I am thinking that to do it properly you need to change a valve in the transmission so that the fluid it would typically send to the converter for lockup gets rerouted to the trans cooler. That was the way my Art Carr trans was setup.

the thing is the lock up works, but i want to put a higher stall converter in, and was thinking that since i was going to change it why not jus put in a nonlock up converter and disconnect the harness, would this work for what i am trying to do or would it mess things up?

Actually, with a higher stall converter it would be nice to keep the lockup function. Makes it much more street friendly.

That 3000 stall converter in my brother's '81 is kind of annoying when your cruising at 55-60mph. With the TH-2004R and 3.73 gears, he's only turning around 2000-2200rpm so the throttle response is pretty dismal since the converter isn't close to its stall speed.

You may be fine if you go that route but like I said, Art Carr changes the fluid routing in their transmissions when you do this. Don't know if that's really a necessity or not. I think the purpose is to try and help keep the transmission fluid cooler.

I have a 3,000 stall lock up converter and love it. The only time you know its a high stall is when you smack it wot. Mileage & rpms are better on the highway and it does not generate the heat a non lock up higher stall will. Which is a very good thing in a performance 200-4R as they don't have a lot of fluid capacity anyway.

This is the kit I recently purchased for my 200r4, a little more pricey than the other kits I've seen but this kit has a lot of very user friendly options. Not to mention it's by B&M which has a huge reputation in the transmission industry, Just thought I'd offer the link in case you were interested. 🙂

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Transm ... peedometer

adv1288 said:
This is the kit I recently purchased for my 200r4, a little more pricey than the other kits I've seen but this kit has a lot of very user friendly options. Not to mention it's by B&M which has a huge reputation in the transmission industry, Just thought I'd offer the link in case you were interested. 🙂

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Transm ... peedometer
thanks ill look into it

I'm a 200-4R novice but i understand that running it without the lockup is a great way to burn the fluid and shorten the life on your transmission. I've got a bowtie overdrives 2004r and their site is full of useful information including how to properly set the TV cable. I just got the car that had it installed already so I've been reading the site and those guys seem to know their stuff. The transmission is amazingly tight and a lot of fun. I didn't know they were made to downshift from 4th to 2nd which is awesome, scared me the first time I tried it, great fun.

TV Explained...
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

they've also got wiring kits for the lockup here
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=OA2

I have a 700r4 transmission in my MOnte and I have a non lock up converter...I had a converter conversion valve from transgo installed, that's what you have to do if you choose to not run a lock up🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor