200r4 trans question

Status
Not open for further replies.
85GPLef41 said:
http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/netochingon1/
here is some trans tag pics along with valvebody pics.

Cool, you got the correct valve body, sometimes people will swap them out with a less desireable one, it's a good trans if built up properly. Mine has lived behind two motors so far and the current motor is in my sig, still running strong for going on six years now.

The ID tag on my trans is the same layout as yours, but if you follow the formula on that website provided by TexasT then your trans was made in 1972 :shock: . Actually that is a good useful link and when I first started looking up my trans I used that site as a reference but the numbers weren't adding up. I had found another website that layed out exactly how to decipher the tag on mine, but for the life of me I can't find it.

So I went out to grab my tag and as I looked at it, it sorta came back to me.

Here is my tag:
15575769601.jpg

If you can't read it, its 265 - 871CZF0117 (I know its seen better days)
First three are the Julian date
87 is the year
1 is the shift
CZ is the model designation(in this case the CZ is for the performance trans for the Monte SS H/O)
F means 2004R
0177 is the production number

This all from the top of my head, if any one can correct me, please do, I don't want to spread misinformation.

This is like a good mystery, and I like to solve a good mystery :lol:

So my trans is from a 87 SS? What kind of rebuild did you get on yours? Keep in mind that i have a stock targetmaster 350? but i am looking into putting a emissions legal cam and heads in the future. i just don't want to put $$ into a engine to have the trans go bad. So i figure build the the trans first engine last..... i am shooting for at least 350hp give or take :lol: or as far as i can with emissions.

I did take a look at my trans and it has a lester servo housing and other parts. anybody know what i have???? :?

I had mine rebuilt with an art carr rebuild kit and and a gill younger valve body kit(shift kit). I also used a servo out of th200, because it has more surface area to give a firmer hold and shift, by applying more fluid pressure on the intermediate band. I had mine built locally by a guy who had a lot of experience with 2004r, he had a couple in his cars. The place he worked at used to be an independent transmission shop, now its an Aamco.

Lester is just a stock part. I'm not sure, might be the company who made the cover??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor