2012 Ram Ate A Cam, Anything I should know?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Neighbor with a 2012 Ram just swung by and asked if I could do a cam. I told him let me do a little homework so we can manage expectations. Will I need any crazy special tools to do this? Is it as straightforward as doing a cam on a small block or LS? Obviously lifters are junk, may as well toss a timing chain and gears at it. Anything else get wiped out in the process?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
To me wiping out a cam means there is most likely debris and metal shavings throughout the engine.
I have seen many times where people try to flush out the engine (SBC and BBC) with multiple oil and filter changes (even members on here} only to have the engine fail later after installing new cam and lifters etc. Instead of doing a complete teardown.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
There's a lot more problems than just cam in that engine. I'd steer clear. Those are disposable vehicles imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
I'm assuming this a 5.7L Hemi? They are known for eating cams and lifters. Definitely more involved than doing a SBC or BBC. I wouldn't want to do it in the truck. You've got to pull the heads to replace the lifters. The timing chain area has a lot going on; not bad, but it's busy. The oil pump sits over the crank, there is a VVT gear on the cam, and a tensioner (can't remember if it is spring or hydraulic) on the chain.

The oil pan is baffled and will be filled with glitter that has to be wiped out, so you've got to pull the pan to clean it all out properly.

• Agree

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Kinda like an LS in that you have to yank the heads to do lifters. He already had the exhaust manifolds regasketed or replaced, so should be easy to get those separated from the rest of the exhaust. This video is pretty good.

I'm not looking to buy the thing, just fix it for the guy. I bought my dually with a wiped out cam back in 2016. Swapped it out, new lifters, but also rolled fresh bearings into that one. Still going today with good oil pressure. Sample size of 1 though.

Now to find how many book hours are billed for this. . .

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
If it ground up a Lifter Base and wiped the Lobe off the Cam, yea there's all kinds of fail glitter all through the Engine. Oil Pump will be tore up good.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well maybe I'm showing my age, but eating cams is not new. SBC had a huge problem in the 70's with soft cores and would wipe the lobes off. K
No one tore the engines down and rebuilt them. They slapped a new cam and lifters in and drove them. Does that mean they didn't have engine failures soon there after on some, nope. But a vast majority were fine. Just my .02

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Engine tolerances back then were not a tight as these new ones are. That older stuff could run on molasses and be fine. This newer stuff the oil is damn near water. Anything too thick you'll lock it up.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Engine tolerances back then were not a tight as these new ones are. That older stuff could run on molasses and be fine. This newer stuff the oil is damn near water. Anything too thick you'll lock it up.
That's completely incorrect and false. Bearing clearances for a SBC, LSX, and the LTX variations are actually identical.... the ONLY thing that has changed is the "recommended" oil weight. And the ONLY reason that has changed is because thinner oil requires less hp to pump, and increases your mpg by some absolutely miniscule amount.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor