2012 Ram Ate A Cam, Anything I should know?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Simple Google search will tell you the factory bearing clearances of each engine. Which is .0022 +/-

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
Last fall I did a couple ram 5.7 cam and lifters replacements. Neither lost much metal from lifters or lobes. The one had beat up pushrods, rocker tips and valve tips. Did all the work without removing engine or raising cab. Its not a bad job. Theyre a bit different than an ls. Didnt need a hoist. Pulled the front tires and inner fenders and set the front on jack stands. I believe we had to get a new crank shaft pulley puller or just the arms for the old style puller. The rocker arm shafts are abit of a challenge to install. They do make a holder for pushrods when assembling woulda been nice but not necessary. Check the manifolds for flatness. Imo planing the old manifolds would be more ideal than using new ones. The new ones will warp to shitt again anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
A) He idles the Hemi too much. ( unless he got it used) This is a normal problem. The oil splash is not enough in idling the keep the rollers lubed. (B) Do some digging and I think they make an aftermarket “misting tube” or something like that to help prevent it. Not sure if very costly to get. Bet it has about 120-140,000 miles, any thing over that he did good! Some people get over 200,000 before it happens. If you can -warm engine to pull the plugs. They like to seize in the heads. Wish I could help more. But what was already said on the metal bits. I looked deep into this as I was thinking of buying a 5.7 RAM at one point.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
From the manufacturer...
They recommend removing the intake manifold and pulling the control solenoid at the front. If there is debris on the solenoid screen the engine will need to be replaced. This is because if it reaches the solenoid it has already damaged the bearings, oil pump and other soft metal parts.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Seeing this ongoing issue, I'm glad I resisted the temptation for a Hemi Challenger. We almost bought a low mile SRT. Of course it probably would have been a Summer only car with only some idiling. There isn't many issues on the Challenger site. But those cars will see limited idling. We idle our Pentastar for sometimes 30 minutes for warmup in the Winter when it is -40. I bet there are a lot of issues up here with Hemi trucks. If I went used Ram truck it would be the Pentastar with the E Torque.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Seeing this ongoing issue, I'm glad I resisted the temptation for a Hemi Challenger. We almost bought a low mile SRT. Of course it probably would have been a Summer only car with only some idiling. There isn't many issues on the Challenger site. But those cars will see limited idling. We idle our Pentastar for sometimes 30 minutes for warmup in the Winter when it is -40. I bet there are a lot of issues up here with Hemi trucks. If I went used Ram truck it would be the Pentastar with the E Torque.
What i have not heard is the issue with the V6’s. Why is unknown. The Fiat Eco-diesel has some but not many! Mostly cooling fan on the first 3 years and was bad fan motors.
Of course the Cummins is self explanatory. Some Hemi’s have no problem at all. But the excessive long idling is. How the police not have problems with the Chargers??

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
One of the things about the Eco-diesel or ANY of the turn knob transmissions setups I believe is when needing to be towed there is a hidden button or pull to unlock the transmission. Dodge does not tell people this.
The fortunes of having a brother into Mopars.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor