24 irocs on monte carlo ss no lift??

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
When you triple the weight of the rotation mass aka wheels your braking distance will double.When you use bigger rims and or tires you have to regear it to match the tire height to keep the rpms down so less stress on the engine and trans.And lets not forget the speedo will be way off if its not done.I'm a off road guy when you put huge off road tires on a truck is the same as 24s or bigger on a car the size of rim don't matter its the over all total height of the tire matters.I have proved this to a friend he put 26s on his caprice and kept telling me it made the car slower and harder on gas once he had it regeared it drove like it did before.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
andrewmp6 said:
When you triple the weight of the rotation mass aka wheels your braking distance will double.When you use bigger rims and or tires you have to regear it to match the tire height to keep the rpms down so less stress on the engine and trans.And lets not forget the speedo will be way off if its not done.I'm a off road guy when you put huge off road tires on a truck is the same as 24s or bigger on a car the size of rim don't matter its the over all total height of the tire matters.I have proved this to a friend he put 26s on his caprice and kept telling me it made the car slower and harder on gas once he had it regeared it drove like it did before.

If you think so, okay. I've had a few different cars on rims and never did that. They still drove and rode the same as if they were on stock wheels. I've been 142 mph on 22s and only slowed down because I was approaching a sharp curve. My brakes worked fine slowing my car down. And yes, the wheels do throw off your speedometer, but not by much. My digital dash said 142, but I may have been going 145-150mph really. Big tires on a truck and big wheels on cars aren't really a good comparison. Trucks overall tire height is usually higher than us guys with big wheels. And most guys these days sit down on there wheels, almost (if not) tucking, not skyhigh like most trucks.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
142 on 22s depending tire size and gearing is closer to 105 to 118 the bigger the wheel over stock size the faster the speedo reads.But all cars are off by a time bit check it with gps you'll see.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
andrewmp6 said:
142 on 22s depending tire size and gearing is closer to 105 to 118 the bigger the wheel over stock size the faster the speedo reads.But all cars are off by a time bit check it with gps you'll see.

I used a calculator along time ago to figure what my speed was with my rims on. Mine was 5-6 mph faster because my 22"s overall tire height was shorter than the stock 17"s overall tire height. The difference in overall tire height is what really affects how much the speedo is off by. Rear gears mainly impact take off, acceleration, and gas mileage.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I've got 245/35/20's on my 01 Impala and they are the exact same height as my 225/60/16's that were on it stock. I drive 120 miles a day and the only thing different to me is the life of my front rotors. I get the exact same gas mileage (on the highway) and since it's a daily driver I dont care much about the little (if any) difference in performance. I've also got a guy that has 24's on his 66 Chrysler, same thing, not much difference and he has drum brakes all around.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Tell your friend with that chrysler he needs front disc or at least a dual bowl master cylinder on it badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor