250-C odd transmission problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2011
Hi there, just wondered if you guys have had any problems like this. I have a 1983 Olds Delta 88 with 307 Olds engine and 250-C transmission, with 4 bbl carburetor. When it is cold, the transmission has all its gears - - after it runs a couple minutes, I can hear a very slight "tick" sound and the trans loses all it's gears. Would this be a solenoid of some kind in the transmission? Or a sensor that directs hydraulic pressure? Had no transmission problems with it before the first time it did this.

Lance - - Rockford, Illinois

The only solenoid is the torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid which engages at about 38 mph under part throttle. I don't see any way this could be a cause of your problem. You could always unplug the connector at the trans to be sure. There are no other electronics in that transmission at all.

best guess, when the fluid gets thin enough a check ball moves and you lose all pressure--or something like that. either way it's an internal problem and you need to take it to a competent shop.

A TH350 swap will probably be cheaper than repairing your transmission if it is shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor