260 to olds 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam

n00b
Mar 11, 2015
Ok so I have a 79 cutlass supreme and it has the 260 v8 and bought an olds 350. I'm wondering if the stock trans and rear differential will hold or do I need to replace as well and if so what should I look for? Thanks!

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
If it's a stock Olds 350 they will be fine. A little more gear in the back would make the 350 happier though.
Lots of 260 cars got 2.29 rear gears.

adam

n00b
Mar 11, 2015
If it's a stock Olds 350 they will be fine. A little more gear in the back would make the 350 happier though.
Lots of 260 cars got 2.29 rear gears.
Awsome thanks for the reply, and yes it is but not stock Ive purchased the edlbrock power package with heads but heard the cam isn't the best, is something you've come across?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I'm not sure what cam they use in their package. They do offer one that I know of that is good for a driver and with their heads on the 350 will make it a lot better than stock. It won't be a fire breathing monster at the strip but it won't be disappointing either. All depends on what you are after.
But still if the transmission and rear end are in good shape they will live unless abused. I would however recommend a shift improver kit and a cooler for the transmission. The TH 350's main issue was soft shifts.
A little higher stall torque converter wouldn't hurt either, but without knowing more about the engine it's hard to recommend one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor