3.8 Buick V6 to 3800 series 2 V6 Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
nabob_blaster said:
O.K. don't throw up 6 years ago my wife totaled out our family car an 89 olds 88 bro ham and I slung the guts out of my 80 model c 10 so a couple of weekends resulted in a 22mpg 205 hp at the wheels fwd 3800 v6 custom transmission adapter and machined fly wheel and 4 days of wiring for oddness give it a whirl for practicality leave it alone I only did it because I had no choice now I can say piss on it bring it to me it'll only cost you beer

Have another one. lol.

SV6 REGAL

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2006
Ont Canada
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Instead of a G body, Imagine what the supercharged 3800 would do in a lighter car, like a Monza/Starfire/Sunbird/Astre/Vega, which was designed with a large enough engine bay for the old 231 V6. Probably around 1,000 lbs lighter than a G body.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Instead of a G body, Imagine what the supercharged 3800 would do in a lighter car, like a Monza/Starfire/Sunbird/Astre/Vega, which was designed with a large enough engine bay for the old 231 V6. Probably around 1,000 lbs lighter than a G body.

Before I had bought the monte I had planned on putting one into a S14 240sx or a FC RX7. Had a chance to buy the RX7 for $400 but some reason I didnt.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I wonder what the weight difference would be? The S14 is such a beautifully balanced car with excellent weight distribution that I would be afraid to mess it up. I know the SR20DET and the KA24DE both weigh around 500lbs with the transmission attached ( Both use the FS5W71-C), with the block weight difference being made up by the T-25 or T28 turbo on the DET. As for the FC, good riddance to the damn 13B ! Useless engine without a change in engine management strategy. There again though, it has perfect weight distribution stock and I think the Iron block V6 would weigh more than the rotary. I think there is an LS1 kit for it ( or is that the FD ?) that only adds 50 lbs over the front wheels.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
From what ive read the L67(3800sc) only weighs a few pounds more than a LS1 and with it being shorter if set far back near the firewall should keep the weight back behind the wheels. Since it would need to use a 4l60e to mount the L67 I had planned on using the same trans crossmember as the LS1 guys and just make the motor mounts from there. I agree the S14 is such a nice car and thats why I had wnated to do one, but couldnt find a rolling chassis. There is a guy that makes a whipple kit for the 3800sc motors and with the amount of low end torque that things make I wouldnt be suprised if itd be able to lift the front wheels with just the whipple and the right suspesion. For an example he swapped a 3800sc into a 90s lumina, made custom 1 3/4 headers and exhaust and slapped on a whipple and ran a 12.6@108 with an otherwise stock motor and trans. Imagine taking 700-800lbs out of that car and seeing what itd do.

Now all this talk is making me want to trade off the monte, geez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor