3.8L hop up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
What can I do to get more power out of the 3.8L engine. I don't need tones of power and would rather not get into an engine swap. I saw summit has an edelbrock intake manifold and pacesetter headers for it, but can i do more to it without breaking the bank. Has anyone on here done a 3.8L like I am asking about. If I had the power that my 99 blazer with the 4.3 vortec had, I would be very happy.
Thanks for any help.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
A '99 4.3L Vortec is running over 200hp, so no you will not get that kind of power without completely rebuilding your 3.8 with like 10:1 compression, haha

The 4 barrel intake and carburetor, the headers and a cam would be a good start. I would also have the heads hogged out and polished. These are about the only things you can do without completely rebuilding the entire thing.

I know what you mean though, I just wish that my car was as fast as my brothers Mitsubishi Galant with a 3.0L V6. But its a lot of money to put into a 3.8L to try and make it fast. There is a guy on the turbobuick.com site that has a naturally aspirated 200hp 3.8L Regal. Might want to find that thread and talk to him about all of his mods.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Alright, I found the thread on the turbobuick.com here's his post:

I managed to get 200 hp out of mine with headers-true dual catback-KB 4 brl manifold-KB low lift cam-hi rev lifters-and electronic carb-totally legal for emissions and 25 mpg! I still have the headers and true dual catback for sale if anyone is interested.

and here is the link to the thread incase you want to contact him:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine ... regal.html

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I know you don't want to consider an engine swap. I still think you should, though, because the first step in high performance is a fresh engine. It's fine if you want to stay V6, or even 3.8 V6, I just think you should rebuild one and put your performance stuff on it. I hate having the engine out of the car and the car not moving under it's own power. If you rebuild a second engine in the garage, you can swap it in on a Saturday and then you're up and running in no time!

That being said, you can do 3.8 V6 engines just like any other engine. Once you are SURE that your bottom end can take the power, you go to the intake/heads/cam/exhaust scenarios and then pick or modify your carb based on those first selections.

You must buy at least one "building a Buick V6 engine" type book. Even in stock form there are oiling system mods that must be done to ensure the long life of your Buick engine.

Start with exhaust. First, you need headers. Next, you want 2 1/4 (I have also used 2 1/2 with not much difference or loss in bottom end) pipes off of the headers. You can either put those into a nice y-pipe (like a flowmaster 2 into 1 y-transition) or you can run duals. If you run a y-pipe then run a 3" cat-back setup that flows nicely. With duals, you just need good turbo mufflers, or whatever aftermarket muffler brand you like best.

Next, you need to pick the cam for the power level you want. There are many to choose from so do lots of research.

After you pick your cam, you need to modify your heads. Port/polish in the bowl area with a 3 angle or 5 angle valve job is a must. You can polish the exhaust to mirror smoothness, but not the intake ports. Just gasket match the ports to the gasket and do a little smoothing on the inside to get rid of the casting flash on the walls, floor and transition turns. You want some roughness inside that intake port to help break up the air/fuel mixture as it heads for the intake valve. You need high lift valve springs, and you may have to have the heads modified to accept them.

Gasket match your intake. You should have purchased an aftermarket intake by now and all you need to do is gasket match the ports. With the ports in your heads and intake gasket matched, but not enlarged, you will maintain excellent port velocity. This is important when building a naturally aspirated engine.

Last, fuel delivery. Your car is running a wet manifold system. You could buy an aftermarket carburetor, modify your stock system, or convert to a TBI system from a 4.3 chevy V6. I have done it and was VERY happy. You will have to tune the computer if you want it to be perfect. If you stay carbureted, I would start with a bigger two barrel or a small aftermarket 4bbl, like a 390 Holley.

Good Luck!

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
thanks guys, it gives me a good idea. i would like to do the engine swap, but dont have the knowledge myself and now that my sons mom and i have split, dont have the money to pay someone to do it anymore. my friend has a camaro with the tpi setup in it that he told me he would give me for a $1000 complete car so i would have everything as far as the trans, motor, computer and harness, even the rear if i need it, but just cant do that type of job myself.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If you have the knowledge to swap a cam or replace the intake and heads and headers and all that, you could seriously do an engine swap. It is like baking a cake man :!:

My first engine swap was before I was even into cars, I just did it because it needed to be done. I took a 3.8L out of an '87 Regal and put it into an '84 Regal that had a blown 3.8L. It took a couple of weeks to have the thing competely running right and driving (including saving the money for the new exhaust) but I did it and did it successfully. Just be sure to label wires as you take it apart (that was my biggest issue with my first swap)

I think you could probably do an engine swap :idea:

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
RITTER said:
If you have the knowledge to swap a cam or replace the intake and heads and headers and all that, you could seriously do an engine swap. It is like baking a cake man :!:

My first engine swap was before I was even into cars, I just did it because it needed to be done. I took a 3.8L out of an '87 Regal and put it into an '84 Regal that had a blown 3.8L. It took a couple of weeks to have the thing competely running right and driving (including saving the money for the new exhaust) but I did it and did it successfully. Just be sure to label wires as you take it apart (that was my biggest issue with my first swap)

I think you could probably do an engine swap :idea:

i'm not concerned with the 3.8 swap being as it would be the same thing just allowing me to build it outside of the car, but to do the tpi swap, that is huge.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
bourbon said:
What can I do to get more power out of the 3.8L engine. I don't need tones of power and would rather not get into an engine swap. I saw summit has an edelbrock intake manifold and pacesetter headers for it, but can i do more to it without breaking the bank. Has anyone on here done a 3.8L like I am asking about. If I had the power that my 99 blazer with the 4.3 vortec had, I would be very happy.
Thanks for any help.

Hey Bourbon good luck, let us know what you decide to do. Because from what the specs show the 3.8L has all the torque you need just lacks hp. Me personally I was too scared after listening to everybody talk bad about the N/A 3.8 I buckled and went with a v8 which the swap is going well.But keep us posted

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Don't fear the N/A 3.8!!

Fear of the unknown is a real killer. These engines are great and shouldn't be thrown away without good reason. I've owned a few crap TPI chevy engines that I wouldn't use as rocks to hold my tarps down in the back yard compared to a 3.8 Buick.

It's all in what you build. If that TPI is so great, why is someone getting rid of it???

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
that tpi engine swap would be easier then you think! especially since you would have the whole car. there is a article online about a guy doing a ss monte with a tpi engine in stock form. i have a book that tells you what wires to yank and you can get a chip on ebay for 65 bucks that will delete all of the crap you do not need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor