3.8L mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ever Rojas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2016
What type of mods can I do to a 3.8L to gain performance? This is in my 81 monte Carlo, she is my daily driver

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Pretty vague question. I can already hear people saying "swap it! swap it!" lol

A Google search would give you your answer. Heads, intake, cam, suspension, etc...

You can get an Eaton M90 supercharger off craigslist for really cheap. Theres a lot out there. If I had a 3.8, I think that would be a fun upgrade. You can also get a cheap turbo.

You can also cut weight by getting aluminum parts (both for the engine or body), or fiberglass parts for the body.

I would make sure you spend money evenly, as in, dont drop a 454 in your car and neglect the transmission, suspension, etc.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Pull it and swap in any warm v8 or turbo'd 3.8 if you're inclined.

It's a matter of cost vs gains. You can dump a bunch of money into the 3.8 but by the time you do. you will pay just as much for a decent SBC and probably only make 2/3 the power of the slowest SBC. Infact it would probably cost more and require more work.

If you really want to make the car quicker with the N/A 3.8 change your rear end gearing. Top end and MPG will suffer but getting up there will be quicker.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
An Electric Fan seems to be the most bang for the buck :)

I would put in a new ebay high flow cat, and a free flow muffler so it atleast sounds faster.

New plugs/plug wires, a new fuel filter, an oil change with high zinc oil and advance the timing a little.

After that its not really worth sinking any money into. The heads are horrible. They flow like 135 CFM on the intake. Without turbocharging, they are pretty much hopeless.

If I was building a NA carbed 3.8L and didn't have a any other motor available, I would use a 500CFM carb on an AL manifold and use the heads off Fwd 3.1 and fab up some exhaust manifolds.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
Well the 229 Chevy v6 will take the same stuff as the 265 4.3 v6. So dress up kits headers intakes cams and distrutors are all available.
But will be lucky to brake 150hp. But it will be fun to do. Check summit for what's there.

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
I traded my 229 v6 for a 267 v8.... 229 made a great boat anchor.....

If Chevy go with 4.3 heads, cam, intake 4bbl. Or find a 4.3... 350 v8- 2cyl....

3.8 buick... talk to the turbo guys.

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Well the 229 Chevy v6 will take the same stuff as the 265 4.3 v6. So dress up kits headers intakes cams and distrutors are all available.
But will be lucky to brake 150hp. But it will be fun to do. Check summit for what's there.
I traded my 229 v6 for a 267 v8.... 229 made a great boat anchor.....

If Chevy go with 4.3 heads, cam, intake 4bbl. Or find a 4.3... 350 v8- 2cyl....

3.8 buick... talk to the turbo guys.

I wasn't even thinking about the 229 Chevy V-6. Junkyards are full of 4,3's from wrecked blazers.

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
I wasn't even thinking about the 229 Chevy V-6. Junkyards are full of 4,3's from wrecked blazers.

As a kid a knew guys who ran a Buick Busch Grand National North Series car.... so i saw V6s could run hard and put out some HP... but i havent paid attention to them in years.... if its a che

Id dump the 229.... unless you like the challange.... swap 4.3..... or v8

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
As a kid a knew guys who ran a Buick Busch Grand National North Series car.... so i saw V6s could run hard and put out some HP... but i havent paid attention to them in years....

The GN series motors have almost zero in common with the production motors other than maybe the bore spacing. Those motors would make a fabulous motor, but they never put them in a street car. If you ever see a GN for sale for $30K and it says "stage 2" in the ad, it has one of the racing motors in it, and they can make serious HP.

The fastest stock body production car is still an '89 Turbo Trans Am with a stage 2 motor (299 mph).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor