3 inch tail pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
i know in my area of minnesota, exhaust shops don't have the equipment for mandrel bending. as a suggestion, have you tried looking at holley's 3inch exhaust that they made for the ls swap kit. its mandrel bent and your exhaust shop can do the final hook up.
joe
42512hkr.jpg
Holy crap they don't give this one away!

Reactions: 1 user

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Maybe my GP is set up like you want. I bought the Pypes 3" mandrel kit with x-pipe for a Monte SS, but then had my exhaust guy alter the tailpipes so that they came out more like a GN. (The kit is designed to make the tailpipes aim straight out the back, exiting below the bumper.) Here is one side photo; it was the best I could find at short notice:

JackStands_zpsxs5yheh5.jpg

To see it from behind, you'll need to watch this short video clip:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I ordered the 3" tail pipe kit for GM 68-72 A-bodies from Summit.The kit is designed to go to the rear bumper but I cut each pipe before it turns to go out the back and put tips on them. Cost $160 for the kit. T/A Performance sells a 3" kit for the G bodies at $179 but then expect another $75 to ship the damn thing. Screw that. I'll post a pic when the site lets me.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
It's funny you posted that I saw t/a list 64-72 78-88 for the same pipes I had the same idea I was think of trying flowmaster 15819 and see if I could make those work

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I ordered the 3" tail pipe kit for GM 68-72 A-bodies from Summit.The kit is designed to go to the rear bumper but I cut each pipe before it turns to go out the back and put tips on them. Cost $160 for the kit. T/A Performance sells a 3" kit for the G bodies at $179 but then expect another $75 to ship the damn thing. Screw that. I'll post a pic when the site lets me.
Forgot to quote you

Chevyman540

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2016

I purchased their whole exhaust kit years ago from TA Perfornance. Had nothing but problems with the tailpipes, had to cut, twist and weld the damn things back together. Unless their quality has gotten better, I would stay away from them.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I purchased their whole exhaust kit years ago from TA Perfornance. Had nothing but problems with the tailpipes, had to cut, twist and weld the damn things back together. Unless their quality has gotten better, I would stay away from them.
I had same problem with T/A tailpipes. I used the mandrel bends that went over the rear and had my exhaust shop make custom exhaust from them.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
What about just running 3" to the muffler and 2.5 out to the end? The volume of the exhaust gas decreases as it cools and the smaller pipe keeps velocity up with no real effect on power.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor