305 build (stroker ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2008
Silver Creek, NY
Ok here's what I want to know. I just did a 350 swap in the Monte, the old 305 ran great and I dont really want to get rid of it. So my question is, what can I do to it?

I think it would be cool to make a stoker motor out of it, or something that has a really nice throttle responce, a nice loopy idle and is streetable. I dont want to spend a lot of $$$ on it, I have new stock heads on it, but I can have a valve job done and I can play around with the ports. It didnt knock or burn oil, but I will put in new bearings, hone the cylinders, rings, and what not.

Has anyone heard of making a 305 stroker? Or can I use a crank from like a 400? Whats the best cam for it. Summit has an intake/cam/carb. kit thats looks nice and is in the right price range also (SUM-CHLY100)

If not a stroker then with a stock rebuild and mild head tuning, what works best with a 305?

And no, Im not going to just go out and get a used 350 and build that, I want to use this engine, I think with a little work and some playing around I can make a desent little street engine that will surprise a lot of people. I wont be running any emissions on it, and its out of an 85 SS. So, what is you thaughts on this one?!!

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
well considering you want to spend the same ammount of cash to make less power than a 350.
basically you can do anything you really want to it.
the bottom ends will take abuse, i had a H/o 305 that i rebuilt, stock bottom end, port polish and rebuilt heads (did it all myself)
had a 4XX 4XX cam in it with a 4brl.
i was shifting at 7200 with no rpoblems, trappin in the low to mid 70s in a 3:08 posi 86 monte in the 1/8th.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
Leave it alone LOL..thats what id do.. aint broke dont fix it.. just sit on it

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
because of the narrow bore, stroking it is worthless. but you can get good power from them with some work. check chevy high performance and car craft back issues. they did a step by step build up of a 305. just getting rid of the emissions crap and throwing on headers and a carb did wonders for it.
i believe that you can get 305/5.0l vortec heads. they'll be cheap and flow well. performer vortec intake, cam around 212*/214* at .050 lift with a 112 or so LSA should be good. and of course, UP THE COMPRESSION! they were abysmally low. if you put in 10:1 d-dished pistons you'll have good quench, and power on pump gas.
would i do it? obviously no, i built a 383. but it can be done and produce decent power. and should you choose, most parts can swap to a 350 later.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Keep the 305 as a backup in case you blow up your good engine. That way, you can still drive it while you fix the other engine. Just be sure you plug the exhaust and intake to keep moisture out. If you really want to go crazy, back off the rockers to close the valves, and keep the springs from taking a set.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
I would have to agree with the rest, it really isn't worth stroking the 305. There are a couple of kits you can get to stroke it, but it'll only end up being a 334c.i. motor. I can't remember if it was Car Craft or Hot Rod Magazine that did it - years ago - but they performed the rebuild on a 3rd-gen Camaro.

I think the Summit kit, getting rid of the emissions equipment if possible, opening up the exhaust, would be the best route. Maybe Vortec heads later on, if you feel you can get better performance, but then you have to change the intake unless it is a dual-bolt pattern already.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Car Craft also did a 334 in an El Camino with a blower, with mediocre results back in 1993. Smog legal, expensive to build and middle of the road performance.

disorder_in_dminor

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 18, 2005
Michigan
I built a 334 stroker for my cutlass, it puked. Machine shop messed up the piston ring end gap on 2 of the pistons (at the minimum). Blew the valve reliefs out of the keith black pistons.

Either way it was a 305 punched 30+ with keith black pistons, scat 4340 H beam connecting rods and an eagle 400 crank with 350 mains, 400 flex plate, comp cam 24H grind camshaft. When stroking a small block for a 400's long stroke you need to machine the bottom of the cylinders with reliefs for the connecting rods to travel through.

This engine was horrible.

I tied 2,000$ into an engine that doesnt feel like it has nearly as much snot as a mild built 350.

Im much happier with my 400 small block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor