305 cylinder head valve clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegrandprixsniper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2012
i cant seem to find a answer online im trying to get aluminum cylinder heads and i want to know what are the biggest intake and exhaust valves i can go with that would clear a stock bore 305 can any one help me out :?
and yes i know that i should just go with a 350

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I believe it is ultimately determined by the type a combustion chamber the head uses. Some heads will have a slightly different placement of the valve. And also the size of the combustion chamber as well :idea: With the right combination, you can get a 2.02"/1.60" valve head on a 305 engine.

I would probably just go with a set of heads with the 1.94"/1.50" valves. With a little port work in the runners, they will flow amazingly well :idea:

I have seen a mid 11 second 1/4 mile car that was running 1.94"/1.50" valve heads :twisted:

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
Dude, get a set of 305 head gaskets. If the chamber don't fit in it, the valves likely won't. I,ve got 2 305s in ElCo's. One checks to be an 85 camaro engine, because it has 1.82 intakes. You might be able to run 350/1.94s but if the chamber is bigger than the bore SEAL dia, etc. I've got a 305 reman with Crane, Edelbock, Holley, n Hooker with 10k miles n it runs nice, with 16/17 MPG. 8)

thegrandprixsniper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2012
CHRIS.O said:
thegrandprixsniper said:
yes i know that i should just go with a 350

If your goal is power then why not just do that?

Google "biggest valve for 305" and you will find tons of stuff. Here is a short post on a f body message board.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tech- ... -94-a.html

i have a 350 block but i just want to build a 305 and see how much power i can get out of one building it my way but then agin im really tempted to just doing that 350 and making a stroker out of it

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I'll save ya the hassle. Unless you want to dump a sh*t ton of money into a 305 a 350 low compression with smogger heads and a cheap rv cam will make more power than good heads, good compression and cam in a 305. It sure can be done but why? The same money will net you much better results with a 350. If you are still set on doing it then I would search for 305 builds on google. I have seen 300hp 305's out there but again more money was spent to get the same power so to me it is a waste. Good luck either way you go. As long as you are having fun then that is all that matters.

thegrandprixsniper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2012
CHRIS.O said:
I'll save ya the hassle. Unless you want to dump a sh*t ton of money into a 305 a 350 low compression with smogger heads and a cheap rv cam will make more power than good heads, good compression and cam in a 305. It sure can be done but why? The same money will net you much better results with a 350. If you are still set on doing it then I would search for 305 builds on google. I have seen 300hp 305's out there but again more money was spent to get the same power so to me it is a waste. Good luck either way you go. As long as you are having fun then that is all that matters.

i have built a couple 400+hp 350 it ain't hard to get to thous numbers but i just wanted to see i could've gotten its a really good running low mileage 305 and because i got no motor in my car right now but i am just going to wait awhile longer and build that 350 and try to see if i can break into the 500+hp and torque numbers and 600+ on the bottle :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor