305 LB9 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
HOW IT ALL STARTED , and why its not a 350

I bought a 1985 GMC Caballero Diablo (Similar to the ElCamino SS) in good condition with a very tired engine for $2500. I started looking for a replacement engine and Found the following on Ebay:

305 roller w/ 081 heads Painless harness and ECM, TPI system, 700r4 trans with converter, engine storage stand. $600 for all.

So I buy the lot.

Sold the harness/ECM/TPI/trans for $600. I tore down the engine thinking I'll sell the heads/short block seperate.

After disassembly I discover I have a LB9 with the following. 081 heads, Dual timing chain, .020 pistons, valves were back cut, all journals were under cut .030, and every part was in great condition.(cross hatch still visable in all cylinders) So thinking I got a lot of machine work for nothing, I decide to use this engine in the GMC, and started collecting parts.

PARTS LIST actual prices I paid in 2009, All purchased on Ebay.

Holley 600cfm 4160-$250
Pro Comp Electronics HEI Distributor - $59.00
Fuel lines and fittings - $49.00
Duel ele 14" fans with temp control and mounting kit - $70.00
Summit header exhaust combo(Blackjacks/Thrush Turbos/side exhaust pipes) - $271.00
Engine - FREE
SBC Stainless Bolts $32.62
NEW SBC Edelbrock Performer Intake 3706 $157.50
HP Harmonic Damper 6.75" $44.50
HOLLEY MACHANICAL FUEL PUMP $28.66
ARP fuel pump push rod kit $10.50
Rebuild kit w/.020 pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings and cam $330
"Ice Man" crossmember $140

Assembly lube, locktight, oil, coolant, cleaners, paint, bolts ect. $175.00

TOTAL $ 1620.00

Had to have the pistons pressed off, and new ones pressed on by my local shop, $68.00

Got the short block done yesterday, I'll keep you posted as I go.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
Heads and intake are on. ready to pull old engine. Long block pic uploaded
867016193115_0_SM.jpg

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
Old engine is out, seting up new. Small problem with the converter, wont fit . Seems the space in the LB9 crank is smaller than the LG4. :wtf:

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Have fun with the 305. Most people dont like em but they are a pretty good motor and get good gas mileage. You can always turbo and get gas mileage and high performance. Converter or harmonic balancer?

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
kingcolbert83 said:
Have fun with the 305. Most people dont like em but they are a pretty good motor and get good gas mileage. You can always turbo and get gas mileage and high performance. Converter or harmonic balancer?
Converter, I'm using a flex plate from a 88 Trans Am. Stock plate will not work on the LB9. The TH200C converter has a pilot on the engine side that is 1.7", the crank has a measurment of 1.675, so the pilot will not fit into the crank. Confused. :? I'll post picks when I can.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos47 ... _0_ALB.jpg

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
Somehow, and just how this is possable escapes me, the end of the crank was mushroomed enough to shrink the pilot opening. This prevented the converter from fully mounting to the flexplate. One way to solve this is to pull the crank, and have the machine shop turn the opening back to the proper size. Anyone got any other ideas?
102_1320.jpg

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
Kinda what I thought, I'll let ya know how it comes out.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
OK, so, um, I won. AFTER A TRIAL. As the car is spread all over the yard, I hop on the Harley for a quick trip to Harbor Freight to pick up a die grinder. 1/2 way the right peg falls off the bike, not kidding. I zip tie it on (be prepared I say) limp to the store, get the grinder and limp it home. The bolts had sheared off the frame, so Drill,Easy Out Extraction. FIXED! On to the the pilot hole, hook up the grinder, less than 1 min later, the converter slips right in. More to come......

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
A few things you need to know when upgrading from a 2pc rear seal engine to a 1pc.

1. Your 2pc flex plate will not work. I used one from a 88 GTA
2. The dust cover will need to be trimed to fit, or buy the correct cover.
3. The converter will bolt right on, be sure to check the bolt pattern against the "new" flexplate.
4. The starter will work, if you have the right flexplate, you need one that is the same diameter as the one you have.

BE SURE THE CONVERTER IS FULLY SEATED WHEN ATTACHING THE TRANS.

Everything else will bolt right on.

I found hanging the headers in the engine bay, and then droping in the engine, saved a ton of time later.

The engine/trans are installed. Pics soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor