1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

305 stroking help

Discussion in 'How-To's / Knowledge Base' started by Griffin84ss, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Griffin84ss

Griffin84ss Apprentice

HELLO, All i have a 84 ss Monte Carlo with the 305 in it and 350th transmission in it. When i bought the car the trans was slipping pretty bad so i reall haven't gotten to drive her very much that has been about a 1 1/2yrs ago over the summer i pulled the engine out and have it tore apart i have bought just about everything i can think of for the top end like new carburetor,intake, valve springs,retainers,cam, ect... my question is should i just put the parts i have on i want to stroke the bottom end but honestly I have No.!! Idea what

2. lilbowtie

lilbowtie Royal Smart Person

The 305 is a small bore and already has a 3.48 stroke. Depending on what you want to achieve - a 350 would be the easiest step up.

3. Griffin84ss

Griffin84ss Apprentice

Yes sir i know and you are right but i already have this engine and I really want to stroke it and make it a pretty bad beast on the streets and maybe run it once or twice its not my daily driver.

4. bob64

bob64 Greasemonkey

Everything you already have will work in a sb350. If your going to stroke something atleast do a 350. Very few people stroke a sb305, actually never heard of anyone doing it but l'm sure someone has.
    You only need a good core 350 and there cheap, stroke it an you'll have something.
    Just my opinion!!

5. lilbowtie

lilbowtie Royal Smart Person

That engine has no promise especially for what you want to do. As I said the 350 would be the easiest and the cheapest. I've got what I consider a bad ass stock block 350 and not a bunch of $$ in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 565bbchevy

565bbchevy Comic Book Super Hero

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. olds307 and 403

olds307 and 403 Comic Book Super Hero

I say stroke it, especially on a numbers matching car. Rebuild the stock TH350C with a few upgrades as well. As long as you don't expect a ton of horsepower or screaming rpms, go for it. Olds 307 guys can now push 375ci out of their Hurst/Olds or 442 with the 4" stroker cranks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. GuysMonteSS

GuysMonteSS G-Body Guru

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Qdub24

Qdub24 Royal Smart Person

People are literally throwing good SBC 350s away for LS-based engines. You can get a good SBC 350 for next to nothing these days. An SBC 305 would just be a waste of money and good parts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 82LSGDADDY

82LSGDADDY Not-quite-so-new-guy

I am with tossing the 305 as well. No offence but I never cared for them. I have a good running 305 in my new project with a good tranny that I want to throw in the dumpster for something with balls. My last project was a 305 and i gave it away as well with a good tranny. No reason to throw money at something that you probably might not be satisfied with. Of course this is only my opinion but I love me some cubic inches in my cars.