305 to 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdubs482

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2010
Noob here the topic probley has been covered but how hard is it for a beginner to swap a 305 to 350?

kdubs482

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2010
Is there a certain year i can use up to? ex. Can i use it from a 92 chevy or does it have to be from a G body?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
'92 doesn't have Vortec heads, those started in '96. Only major difference if you keep the '92 TBI heads is the inner two bolts on each head aren't at a 90º to the intake mating surface. You could buy an intake with the holes drilled at the correct angle, some guys just lengthen the holes on their current intake. The TBI heads are good for torque down low, but are pretty much done by 4,000RPM in stock form.

Far as 305 350, any year will work, but there are certain things to consider. '87+ 1-piece rear main seal blocks use a different flywheel (which has a bolt pattern different from a pre-'87), but besides that everything bolts up just fine.

kdubs482

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2010
I was just using that year as an example. Im looking around for a decent block in my area to pick up. But thanks for the great answers. So you can use pretty much any year of Chevy 350?

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
One of the best things about GM and the reason I have always liked them is the interchangeability with the small block and even big block engines. Trans bell housing never changed from the very first small block up to todays LSx engines. Only a few things that will make things complicated that I have run into in the past. Using an older style cylinder head may not always have the holes drilled for the accessories, different flywheel sizes and minor things like that.

About the worst thing that ever bit me on a motor swap was when I built the 400ci for my 68 camaro. The car was a 4 speed manual so I had the old 327 flywheel balanced for it, drilled the starter location to accept the one for the 327. Thought I had everything covered. Put the engine in the car, bolted up the trans, and then when I went to hook up the clutch linkage, I found out I forgot something. The boss where the pivot ball for the clutch was never drilled out. :oops:

chevyman454

Greasemonkey
May 20, 2010
Citrus springs . FL
Doober said:
'92 doesn't have Vortec heads, those started in '96. Only major difference if you keep the '92 TBI heads is the inner two bolts on each head aren't at a 90º to the intake mating surface. You could buy an intake with the holes drilled at the correct angle, some guys just lengthen the holes on their current intake. The TBI heads are good for torque down low, but are pretty much done by 4,000RPM in stock form.

Far as 305 350, any year will work, but there are certain things to consider. '87+ 1-piece rear main seal blocks use a different flywheel (which has a bolt pattern different from a pre-'87), but besides that everything bolts up just fine.

1 the bolt pattern for the "vortech" started in 86-87 its a missnomer the intake bolt pattern is from 85-86 to 98 so i was doing the whole blanket and no you cant just elongate the holes ( thats just the wrong way to do it)
the fly wheel yes it is different as far as the bolt pattern on the crank but it is the ring gear is the same number of teeth (need to count the teeth for your starter unless it came with the motor)
the torque conveter bolt pattern is the same as a earlier model so thats not gonna be a problem
you may need to get a bronze distributor gear if you get a 5.7 with a roller cam

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Ok fine, spot face the holes... point is you can make a standard intake fit an '87-'95 head. Even if you drilled/tapped the holes on a Vortec head, the port shape is different and you would have to heavily port the intake to get them even close to matching, and most of the time you won't have enough surface at the top of the runner mating surface on the intake to get a good seal.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
YOu can use any 350 block..........try to find a mid 80's though, this way you won't have to dick around with heads, intakes and what not..................

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor