305 to 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Cost wouldn't justify the means with an '80s 350... for any performance you'll be changing heads/intake anyway with one of those motors. You can make 375hp with a stock Vortec long block... you can't do that with a smogger 350 from 1983.

kdubs482

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2010
Fair enough thanks for the input guys. Right now im just looking for a 350 to get so more power maybe in a year when i have a larger budget I will start putting on more performance parts.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
I've found it's usually cheaper to get an '88-'95 1-pc. rms 350, and buy a pair Vortec heads separate. I already had the 350 from a previous truck, so that saved me some money. You can reuse your original distributor, upgrading the ignition module and coil would probably be the only ignition upgrades you'll really need for a mild motor (I haven't even done that). The only really new part I bought was the cam/lifter set and balancer, everything else was used.

I built mine for around $1,200, that included buying heads (+ cleaning and new valve seals), all gaskets, having block cleaned/hot tanked/freeze & oil galley plugs, turning the crank 10/10, main/rod bearings, rings, oil pump, paint, intake manifold. I already had the tin (valve covers, timing cover, etc.), starter, distributor and carburetor.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Doober said:
Cost wouldn't justify the means with an '80s 350... for any performance you'll be changing heads/intake anyway with one of those motors. You can make 375hp with a stock Vortec long block... you can't do that with a smogger 350 from 1983.
He never said he was looking for a high HP motor friend..............Only lookin to swap a 305 to a 350.... NO need to try and school another member.We all have our opinions and are entitled to them...Thanks. I guess everyone is a critic :wtf:

A

Anonymous

my friend took out his 305 and put in a hemi. Did it last weekend and although not yet broken in, he got it up to 139 mph in only 11.23 sec.!! He should win all his races and move on to BIG $$ strips. so if you want real power I strongly suggest getting a hemi in.

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010
billysmithSS said:
my friend took out his 305 and put in a hemi. Did it last weekend and although not yet broken in, he got it up to 139 mph in only 11.23 sec.!! He should win all his races and move on to BIG $$ strips. so if you want real power I strongly suggest getting a hemi in.

This is borderline heresy, but I'd love to see pics. Are you referring to the vintage hemi from the 60s/early 70s or the current incarnation? Also I would be amazed if this was really done in a weekend. I have to imagine you'd have to swap out or adapt a lot.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
JBreu said:
Doober said:
He never said he was looking for a high HP motor friend..............Only lookin to swap a 305 to a 350.... NO need to try and school another member.We all have our opinions and are entitled to them...Thanks. I guess everyone is a critic :wtf:
Yup, and it was a guide to how he could make a decent amount of power on a budget :roll: Plus it would be pretty much pointless to go from a stock 305 to a stock 350 from that era... about the only advantage you would see is a little more torque.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
[quote="chevyman454]1 the bolt pattern for the "vortech" started in 86-87 its a missnomer the intake bolt pattern is from 85-86 to 98 so i was doing the whole blanket and no you cant just elongate the holes ( thats just the wrong way to do it)
the fly wheel yes it is different as far as the bolt pattern on the crank but it is the ring gear is the same number of teeth (need to count the teeth for your starter unless it came with the motor)
the torque conveter bolt pattern is the same as a earlier model so thats not gonna be a problem
you may need to get a bronze distributor gear if you get a 5.7 with a roller cam[/quote]

The vortec pattern starts in 96 and only uses 8 bolts total, the bolts also go straight down, not at the same angle of the head. The swirl port heads are the ones that still use 12 bolts with the four center bolts being at a slightly different angle than the rest.

Vortec intake:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7516/?rtype=10

TBI (swirl port) headed intake:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2604/?rtype=10

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
billysmithSS said:
Why hasn't this *ss clown been banned yet?

Kdubs: If you are on a really tight budget, you will probably want to look for an early ('69-'74ish). The heads typically have heavier castings (less prone to cracking if overheated) and are a little more likely to have 4-bolt mains. Most stock 350 cams were pretty mild so you might consider an upgrade before you drop it in. If you have a little more money to spend - look for a '96-up Vortec. They have good heads and a roller cam already. The only real added expense would be the Vortec specific intake and the needed electric fuel pump. Good luck with the swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor