307 lovers and haters. I got a good one for you.

Brodewok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2021
So I personally love 307s and the CCC system. But I'm in a pinch and about to find out what a 307 is really about. I drive a 82 Oldsmobile ninety eight vinY 307 200-4r. Daily driver. I carry at least 1000lbs of tools in the trunk everyday. I run AC. I'm behind on keeping it perfectly tuned.... I'm totally happy with it getting me 25mpg, 90mph and starting within a few cranks every single time.... But here's where it's getting weird..... I also have a 68 olds ninety eight. Had a freshly rebuilt 455 in which the cam didn't take to the break in and it wiped. Not sure of the extent of the damage yet. I'm moving next month and I don't have means to rebuild it or have a immobile car. Instead of crying I'm going to (drumroll please!!!) Install a low mileage vin 9 307 to the stock turbo 400. Might use a Holley 1475. Might use the 455s stock Rochester. Might try them both. I have HEI in the 455 that I'll probably slap in. From what I know it will bolt up with just a new exhaust manifold crossover (100$). The 455 accessories should bolt up.... I'm confident the car will move around which is all I'm really needing out of this. But in this swap I'll be finding out something strangely important to me..... Is the vin 9 307 a tough engine??? Or is it a V6 with two extra cylinders??? We shall see. It will be happening in the next couple weeks. When it's done I'll be honest about it. So those that are passionately for or against the 307 pay attention... One of you is going to have your opinions shat on. And the other will be able to pat themselves on the back.... Cross your fingers and root for the underdog!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonnewagon
good luck in your endeavors . I like the ccc system too it took a while to figure it out now it starts real easy better than my other carbed car which i put alot of money in

The VIN 9 is a better choice than your VIN Y engine for sure. About 30% more HP and a tad more torque. But don't expect miracles. It ISN'T a 455 torque monster. It's an emissions-concious Olds 350, essentially. If you take care of them, it's an Olds V8, so if you don't know how tough they are by now, you never will.

I don’t think you have a chance in hell of a carb calibrated for a 455 working on a 307, but I could be wrong - Rochesters are beyond surprising.

Good luck to you.

I don’t think you have a chance in hell of a carb calibrated for a 455 working on a 307, but I could be wrong - Rochesters are beyond surprising.

Good luck to you.
In all reality it just has to make it about 45 mlles doind 30 mph. Then be able to start and move if needed for maybe a year. If it can do that it's a win.

The VIN 9 is a better choice than your VIN Y engine for sure. About 30% more HP and a tad more torque. But don't expect miracles. It ISN'T a 455 torque monster. It's an emissions-concious Olds 350, essentially. If you take care of them, it's an Olds V8, so if you don't know how tough they are by now, you never will.
I know what the whole thing is. That's why I'm trying it. I think it has a shot. The 82 98 is only 700 lbs lighter than the 68. If I don't have it overloaded like I do my 82 it should be alright. But I don't really care.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor