307 or a 327 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tador84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2010
I have a question..I have a motor out of a 1978 olds cutlass, the guy i got the motor from states its a 307, but i don't know if its the original motor that the car came out with. It has double hump heads, and i cant seem to find a casting number on the motor anywhere. If some one can help me figure out what this motor is it would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get some pics up asap, to help figure out the motor size. thanks. also this motor doesn't have the casting number below the heads like a 305, thats why i'm having trouble figuring it out.

OK well if the 307 wasn't produced till 1980, then i wonder what motor i actually have? is there a possibility its a 327? i had a friend say it could be a 283, but not sure on that either.

Is it an Olds engine or Chevy? Does it have an oil fill tube on the front of the engine?

dan2286 said:
Is it an Olds engine or Chevy? Does it have an oil fill tube on the front of the engine?

Some Chevy motors also have a front oil fill tube. A better question is, how many valve cover bolts are there? Chevies have four. Olds motors have either ten or (on later motors) five.

Yes, I know Pontiac motors also have four valve cover bolts, but the separate valley cover gives these away. Same for the front distributor on a Buick.

tador84 said:
It has double hump heads.
So it's a Chevy. The heads could be 461 or 462 but may have been transferred onto any shortblock. The casting number is on the driver's side behind the head (just ahead or the bellhousing). Different engines can use the same casting number. The more important, and telling, number is stamped into the deck surface at the front (passenger side). The suffix code (letters after the numbers) will tell you specifically what the engine started life as. Of course anything could have changed internally. Here's the link to a suffix decoder.
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camar ... -codes.asp

DRIVEN said:
tador84 said:
It has double hump heads.
So it's a Chevy. The heads could be 461 or 462 but may have been transferred onto any shortblock. The casting number is on the driver's side behind the head (just ahead or the bellhousing). Different engines can use the same casting number. The more important, and telling, number is stamped into the deck surface at the front (passenger side). The suffix code (letters after the numbers) will tell you specifically what the engine started life as. Of course anything could have changed internally. Here's the link to a suffix decoder.
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camar ... -codes.asp
my problem with that is there is no casting number under the passenger side head...I looked all over the motor and can't seem to find any casting numbers.

joe_padavano said:
dan2286 said:

Some Chevy motors also have a front oil fill tube. A better question is, how many valve cover bolts are there? Chevies have four. Olds motors have either ten or (on later motors) five.

Yes, I know Pontiac motors also have four valve cover bolts, but the separate valley cover gives these away. Same for the front distributor on a Buick.
I do believe there are 10 but i'm not sure i will have to count them. And yes it does have the oil pickup tube in the front.

dr78442 said:
sounds like a 260 olds engine. I had the same engine in my 78 cutlass.
This motor also came out of a 78 cutlass. How do i know for sure this is what the motor is? There isn't any casting numbers...And also someone changed the intake to a 4 barrel intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor