307 or a 327 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tador84 said:
dr78442 said:
sounds like a 260 olds engine. I had the same engine in my 78 cutlass.
This motor also came out of a 78 cutlass. How do i know for sure this is what the motor is? There isn't any casting numbers...And also someone changed the intake to a 4 barrel intake.

The 260 only came with a 2 barrel. I believe the casting # are located by the timing cover. For example a upper case E would be a 455. I didn't have the engine long I sold it and put my 502 in it place. Hope that helps

dr78442 said:
tador84 said:
dr78442 said:
sounds like a 260 olds engine. I had the same engine in my 78 cutlass.
This motor also came out of a 78 cutlass. How do i know for sure this is what the motor is? There isn't any casting numbers...And also someone changed the intake to a 4 barrel intake.

The 260 only came with a 2 barrel. I believe the casting # are located by the timing cover. For example a upper case E would be a 455. I didn't have the engine long I sold it and put my 502 in it place. Hope that helps
Ill check the timing cover...sounds like it could very well be a 260, because it did have a factory 2 barrel intake. thanks i think this will really help.

My mistake. Double hump heads, also commonly referred to as "fuelie" heads, were on SBCs. Post a photo and I'm sure one of the resident gurus will be able to ID it in a hurry.

DRIVEN said:
My mistake. Double hump heads, also commonly referred to as "fuelie" heads, were on SBCs. Post a photo and I'm sure one of the resident gurus will be able to ID it in a hurry.
I looked up on you tube a video of a 78 olds cutlass with a 260 and it looks identical to the motor that i have...but i will try to get pics up asap, the motor is at my dads garage...so the next time i'm out that way i will snap a few pics, just to be sure.

tador84 said:
DRIVEN said:
I looked up on you tube a video of a 78 olds cutlass with a 260 and it looks identical to the motor that i have...but i will try to get pics up asap, the motor is at my dads garage...so the next time i'm out that way i will snap a few pics, just to be sure.

I don't think all double humps were fuelie heads, and I didn't hink that sbc heads would fit an olds motor... if it does, wonder what that does to all the "purists" out there! :rofl:

Chevy heads will not fit an Olds or any other engine. Chevy small blocks have the casting number on the back of the block where the transmission bolts up. Your car could have come with a 305, 350 Chevy, 260 Olds. FYI, there was a 307 Chevy as well as a 307 Olds. 327 Chevys were replaced by the 350 in 69 or 70. If you have an Olds engine the oil filler tube will be in the front going in to the timing cover, a Chevy is in the valve cover. Older Chevys had the oil filler tube in the front of the intake manifold.

IMG_0009.jpg

Chevy 327

1980cutlass009.jpg

Olds 260

Pictures2017.jpg

Chevy 305

54belair3.jpg

Chevy 307

OldsDelta88006.jpg

Olds 307

3881571186494.jpg

Chevy block casting numbers

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor