307 ticking after loss of fuel and mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBandit203

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2012
Ok this is the scenario, I have installed valve covers and new gaskets, intake manifold, welded all A.I.R ports closed. I also installed a 1" aluminum carb spacer waiting on the oil change due to the fact I must remove the oil filter to install the headers. I check the oil twice it is super dirty but its in there. Also after all these part were installed the car ran out of gas, and the PCM wiring harness was removed except for the TCC wiring. What could be the problem?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I'll admit I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about but I will tell you this though; you can't just remove your computer harness and have everything work. You need a new carb and distributor if you do that. Also, you can't just have your TCC work without the ECM harness hooked up properly either. Sounds like you have some work you need to do!

TheBandit203

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2012
Ok so now that you said all that, I will say this, your right!!! That is why some guys before you told me swap out various parts and that was done a long time ago! Any part that was computer ran and/or monitored has been removed. But thanks for your help anyway.

autowizard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2011
some where in Idaho
A tick will either be an exhaust leak or a dirty lifter. You said your oil is dirty that could mean a lifter but you also said you did some work on the exhaust so check there first.

HarryOlds86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2011
Huntsburg, Ohio
Could be an exhaust leak from welding up the air pipes, check that first. If that's ok, take a stethescope or a long screwdriver and touch the end of it to the BASE of the valve cover where you hear the noise and put it to your ear. Go along the valve cover untill you hear it the loudest and replace the rocker bridge where you hear it the most. To confirm, remove the valve cover and rotate the motor untill both valves are closed then wiggle the rockers. Any movement and there's your noise.

TheBandit203

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2012
Ok I changed the oil 4qts 10w30 semi-syn with 1qt of Lucas and started the car the sound was quiet, then it stopped, and then it came back, and kept doing that for the 2 mins I let it run. Headers and exhaust are on hold for now. Rockers are fine still tracing the knock.

TheBandit203

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2012
Problem solved!!! Carbon Knock in the #6 cylinder, seafoamed, locked in the timing and now it runs super smooth!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor