350 olds build questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
DoubleV said:
I didn't bother to re-read this whole thread so I'm not exactly certain what your goals are for your build, but I can tell you that Edelbrock heads for an Olds small block is a poor choice unless you're building an engine up from scratch to build a high RPM screamer, and I don't think that's what you want. Just get a set of #5-7's.

I've heard Comp cams don't perform the best in an Olds, so I would look into a cam manufacturer that has a known good reputation for working well in Olds engines like Ultradyne/Bullet or Lunati. You cannot pick a cam either untill you know exactly what the rest of your combo will be.

If I were you, I'd come up with a realistic goal for what you're looking to achieve and come up with the best plan in how to get there. You need to determine what you're budget is ( that's VERY important obviously ) and determine how much work you're willing to put into your project and how much you're capable of doing yourself. You can dream, speculate, and post untill your hearts content, but in the end what are you REALISTICALLY going to have the money, skill, and time to accomplish?

So IMO, you should once and for all state exactly what you want ( choosing something you can realistically obtain ) and go from there. You need to settle on one thing instead of changing your mind all the time otherwise your project will constantly be put on hold and you'll never get anything done. Let's be honest, you started this thread almost 2 months ago and you haven't even started on it yet. That's not a good sign! How serious are you about this? If you're REALLY serious, we can help you, but if not then.....

Ha, thank you for the info but the extra could have been kept to your self just saying I am on the top end of my engine now that's why i asked a question about the heads and cam, I mean it's not like i'm building a NASCAR and i also feel your cosigning for the other guy you only dream to make it come true dreams are motivation to get what you want. I appreciate that you answered my question though and skill's i think i have i not handicap on mechanics but don't worry i will not ask anything else on this build since i'm getting negativity off my question..

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
online170 said:
TeezySupreme said:
[
anymore bull sh*t u got to ask. i just wanted my question answered that's why i asked it's not like i asked about a Bugatii smh.

No offense intended, im just trying to point out that you have zero focus (and probably intent). This is how "failed projects" start.

Because youre changing direction so rapidly, NONE of the advise prior to any of your questions is valid anymore. Engine builds are a funny thing where everything needs to work together, otherwise theres no point. Everyone is trying to give you advise for your engine design, but you keep changing your mind so ALL of the previous advise goes out the window.

You obviously have no money to do any of this stuff. You have money now and plans are changing, so theres no reason to plan and gather parts to some unplanned time in the future when your plans will change again. Been there done that.

No harm in brainstorming ideas, but it shouldnt be called a "BUILD". If you want to "build it as funds become available", start with the bottom end, and throw parts at it as you get money.

O, i don't recall Changing any idea's I was told edlebrock heads Where good so i asked a question and i was told to not get a cam with 8 heads so i asked about a cam haha nvm i don't need the negativity your are trying to bring i 'll just build it from my knowledge and the people that where willing to help and answer my question thank you and have a nice day sir.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Someone seems to be very touchy.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Everyone here is trying to help you with accomplishing what you want to do. But you do need to realize that building an Olds engine is not the same as a Chevy. They are expensive, and parts are not as readily available. I wouldn't run with Edelbrock heads on the small block unless you have several thousand dollars to have them milled, and your intake milled and port matched to the larger ports on the heads. If you are serious about getting into Olds motors buy Bill Trovato's book. It has tons of information, tips, and tricks. In fact you may even want him to do your machine work. He is NOT cheap but it will be done right. Bill built my #5 heads on my 350, milled them, new larger W-31 valves, bowl blending, solid bronze guides, new seals, springs, 7/16 studs, the whole deal. Just for his work my bill was damn near $2000 when all was said and done. Just something to think about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put you down but you really do need to figure out what you want. I have been following this thread from the beginning and I've seen things change several times.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
86-blk442 said:
Everyone here is trying to help you with accomplishing what you want to do. But you do need to realize that building an Olds engine is not the same as a Chevy. They are expensive, and parts are not as readily available. I wouldn't run with Edelbrock heads on the small block unless you have several thousand dollars to have them milled, and your intake milled and port matched to the larger ports on the heads. If you are serious about getting into Olds motors buy Bill Trovato's book. It has tons of information, tips, and tricks. In fact you may even want him to do your machine work. He is NOT cheap but it will be done right. Bill built my #5 heads on my 350, milled them, new larger W-31 valves, bowl blending, solid bronze guides, new seals, springs, 7/16 studs, the whole deal. Just for his work my bill was damn near $2000 when all was said and done. Just something to think about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put you down but you really do need to figure out what you want. I have been following this thread from the beginning and I've seen things change several times.

I've notice that but i'll jus leave the question at where they are ill just completely go through my thread and finish what i've started.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I wouldn't say that building a sbo is expensive or that parts are hard to get. Good advice & build pricing might be. It's that people compare it and or everything to building the sbc 1 which is cheaper & always has excess of cheap new & used parts everywhere at all times. That is really the SBCs only big virtue and both why people either use it or won't, take advantage of that or resist following the herd. :)

J-(Chicago)

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2007
:drool: 2 months of talk on here, not even 9:1 compression yet? :shock:

I will solve the mystery. find some older heads in good running condition, and bolt them on with a thin .028" corteco head gasket. #1-7

You will be around 9:1 just doing that.
All you would have to do is enlarge the push rod hole clearance with a stone grinder or carbide burr to make up the difference between the 45 degree and 39 degree lifter bank angles depending on which # you find.

Olds 350's are mean. They just need compression, and a GOOD VALVE JOB.
If you do that, and get a half *ss good tune on it. I'll bet it runs 13.5 all day long in a g body with some decent rear gears and headers.

Bump the compression up to 10.5:1 with flat tops and a 230 ish cam @ .050 and you could be running high 12s.

GO! Do IT!......NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor