350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

chop_car

n00b
May 13, 2008
i have a 85 monte with a 305 and what to swap with a 350 but will all the smog stuff bolt on to the 350..... and will the computer work on the 350 or should i stick with the 305......... i live in CA and have to pass smog

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It will work, but you should make it look really stock. Use a block with the same dipstick location as your 305, and paint it black. Also, you may want to recalibrate the secondaries on the 4ME Quadrajet richer to work with the 350. This will not affect emissions or the computer as the CCC system does not work at WOT. As to passing smog, that will largely depend on your combination of parts, and how anal they are at the inspection place. If they start running casting numbers, you will probably be screwed. I dunno, Florida has no inspection program of any kind, so I have no real world experience here.

chop_car

n00b
May 13, 2008
would the 305 intake work on the 350 and will the 305 exhaust manifold work to sorry for all the questions just want to know what im getting in to....

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
chop_car said:
i have a 85 monte with a 305 and what to swap with a 350 but will all the smog stuff bolt on to the 350..... and will the computer work on the 350 or should i stick with the 305......... i live in CA and have to pass smog

This is also a dilemma that i phase too. I just said f*k it, and i'm going to go with a buddy of mine that can pass my smog for me :twisted:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Intakes interchange just fine unless you have Vortec heads. I ran a 305 intake on my 350 when I first installed it. SBC's are extremely interchange friendly with only a few hiccups that depend on the years of engines being discussed, like the earliest 3 years of the 350 (67,68, and 69) which may not have the 3 bolt holes drilled in the ends of the heads. My headers are for a 305 Monte Carlo, and work just fine. Most newer heads have 2 holes drilled in the end manifold positions for use with 2 different mounting schemes, but in general they do interchange with no drama. Like I said, most of my stuff is 305 stuff, and you really have to know these engines to know what is not stock. It would be helpful if you listed what engine you plan on using, what year your new engine is, and which 305 you have -"H" code LG4 150hp, or G code L69 180hp "HO" engine.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you can use the stock computer, but you definately want the H.O. version (you can also use an HO camaro ECM). they have a much better ignition curve. that's what i have in my 383 (for timing only) and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor