Buick 350 Swap / AC Box clearance

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm a couple of weeks away from swapping my Buick 350 into my 81 GP w/ AC. I anticipate needing to clearance the AC box. There's lots of talk about that here but not a lot of pictures. Can anybody share pictures of what they cut out? I'd like to get that taken care of as soon as the V6 is out.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You shouldn't have any issues. going from a Buick 6 to an 8 only takes up the free space up front like a Chevy 6 to 8 swap. Remember the V6 is the same design as the V8 minus those two cylinders. I know Mr. Sony will chime in saying the same since he rolls with Buick 350 in his Regal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

78Regal350

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2015
Brookville, IN
In all the digging I did leading up to my swap (which you referenced in the first link above), I seemed to see a lot of mixed information, but it made me fairly optimistic that the heater box modifications could/would be minimal. Obviously in my case that wasn’t true. Another common train of thought was that swaps to larger engines (even BBC) using the non-A/C heater box required no modifications to the box. And again in my case, this wasn’t true.

I’m pretty confident my experience was a “worst case scenario”, but my advice would be to check the fitment/clearance before you start cutting away at the heater box. In many ways the 3.8 is just “a Buick 350 with 2 less cylinders”, but in reality the 350 has a taller deck height and is noticeably wider, which can make this swap a bit tricky.

Here’s a shot from above showing how close the valve cover would’ve been to the heater core inside the A/C heater box.
IMG_1184.jpeg

This picture shows the interference I had between the 350 valve cover and the non-A/C heater box.
IMG_2100.jpeg

This is a rough mockup I ended up with after modifying the non-A/C box so the valve cover could be removed for future maintenance purposes.
IMG_2211.jpeg

This is what I ended up with. Even with removing a sizable section of the non-A/C box I can just barely get the valve cover off the engine.
IMG_8647.jpeg

• Winner
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

78Regal350

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2015
Brookville, IN
I didn’t take a ton of pics when I was trying to fit the 350 with the A/C heater box, but here’s all of what I have (a few of which are in the build thread).

IMG_1182.jpeg

IMG_1183.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1457.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
No - it's a complete, running one I bought a couple of months ago after I got tired of dealing with some issues with my V6. It'll be bone stock & I think down the road I'll build yours & swap it in.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
I don't recall having to notch the a/c box when the Buick 455 went into the '81 Regal I used to own. Too many engines here but leaning at Poncho engine into a '85 caballero. Still own the 396 out of my SS...that's another possibility but neither of these options require notching the a/c box. :cool:

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
I have a buick 350 in my regal, im using the cast aluminum poston valve covers. I had to cut my heater core with a hack saw one direction and solder it shut went from a rectangle to an L shape. In the fall temps it still works good. Looks sorta about right in the pictures. This year i switch to HR parts and stuff poly mounts. Josh

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor