Swapped: Buick 231 V6 >Buick 350

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
It's alive:

1981 Grand Prix - 231 Buick V6 out, Buick 350 in. It's bone stock except for a booster plate to help with oil pressure. As advertised, it was an easy swap. I used all of the accessories & brackets off the front of the V6. Used new V6 motor/transmission mounts. The V6 fan sat perfectly (half in/half out) in a stock V8 shroud. A few minor modifications:

-shorten the alternator support rod
-shave the corner off the passenger valve cover at the AC box (rather than cut the heater box as some others have done).
-trim the radiator hoses

Big things left to do are finishing the exhaust and setting timing & advance (great post on that in the V8Buick group). I swapped in factory gauges also & I have the oil, temp & tach gauges working. I converted the check engine light to an oil idiot light, and I recreated the factory choke circuit so even the choke light works.

I'll post back after driving & let you know what I think of it. It should be a lot more fun to drive than the lifeless V6, and it'll sound great.

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yes, but why the Blue Oval fender cover. As Charlie Brown would say.... Arrrgggghhhhh!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I know 😐. My buddy's shop, his cover. He has a cool LS-swapped 01 Mustang.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
This makes me tingly in all the right areas.
Congrats. For a daily driver even a mild SBB is enough fun to scoot around in. Plenty of passing torque.
Factory manifolds fit like a glove, TA Performance has g body downpipes, unless you want to find a factory y pipe and do a cat back dual setup or something.

Reactions: 4 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I used factory manifolds & TA downpipes & it worked out perfectly. Tailpipes from Mandrel Bending Solutions, Thrush welded mufflers & my buddy's Pypes x-pipe. The exhaust will be done this weekend.
Thanks MrSony for the advice & answers to my questions along the way.

1708611019169.png

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I used factory manifolds & TA downpipes & it worked out perfectly. Tailpipes from Mandrel Bending Solutions, Thrush welded mufflers & my buddy's Pypes x-pipe. The exhaust will be done this weekend.

View attachment 235392
no problem
always willing to help another sbb swap happen.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

View attachment 235392
I've got hooker headers, and 2.5 duals with thrush welded and MBS tails too. I've got a TA_310 cam so it's quite choppy. Excited to hear yours.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Those are nice looking down pipes, what diameter? I am also for any different motor swaps in cars. Haven't had much to do with the small bore Buick and Pontiac 350's. I have only driven one Buick 350 car, a Lesabre from 1980, the last year offered. I remember my old boss saying they were shitty engines when it came in the shop. My other boss had issues with his rebuilt Buick 455 and low oil pressure. Pretty sure a new TA front cover and oil pump would have fixed it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor