350 TBI to carb swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
We did this on a 305 TBI Camaro. The tbi pump puts out only 14 psi, so a quality fuel pressure regulator with a built in return will get it down where you need it no problem. We still used the factory dist. We unplugged the brown wire going to the dist, that controls the computer controlled timing advance. We then advanced the dist. ourselves by unbolting the dist and turned it like an hei one. I don't remember how far we advanced it to, but we then tightened the dist. down. The timing was then locked to where we put it. Drove it for a long time like that. All the gauges still worked. We also removed the check engine light bulb in the dash, It got annoying after a while.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
It's an easy swap. With TBI the in tank pump pressure should only be around 15 psi, just use a regulator to get it down to 7psi. Easy to do since you already have a return line. Depending on year, application, or if you have a Goodwrench replacement engine you may have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. My 89 GMC had provisions but my 92 Chevy didn't. Swap the intake to something like an Edelbrock 2104 spreadbore. Use the correct TV cable bracket. Then use your HEI distributor and you're good to go. Unless I'm mistaken the ECM can be retained to control the transmission if needed and aftermarket switches are available for TC lockup. My only experiences with this type swap were with 5 speed manual and TH 400 transmissions. I only disconnected/deleted wiring that was directly related to parts I changed or removed, and the ECM was left in place. I just learn to ignore the CEL. HVAC systems don't operate through the ECM. Though you may run into dieseling issues with carburetor and using air conditioning. You may run into issue with the catalytic converter having a short useful life span if you choose to keep it.
The real power killer on these engines are the heads. In my opinion a set of Vortec heads and intake are a huge improvement with the factory TBI.
This swap is popular because the 2 barrel TBI just can't handle over 300 hp. The stock throttle body is rated at about 480 CFM. That's too low for a 350ci engine. Even a 670 CFM 2 barrel throttle body is too small for a healthy 350ci engine. Just check out the Holley Pro-Jection system, 670 CFM and still only good up to 275 hp.
When I had my 92 Chevy K2500 with 5.7 and 5 speed it sucked to drive on the interstate pulling a 5000 pound trailer. If it had a tow package with better gearing it would have been better but as it was I either needed to spend a lot of money to re gear both axels, replace the 140,000 mile engine or put a better induction system on the engine I had. A used Q jet and a cheap intake of unknown make and the problem was mostly solved.
As far as horsepower is concerned this swap is THE best bang for the buck. It is detrimental to emissions though. As far as MPG the loss you see there is comparable to the gain in power.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
No smog tests in missouri so i dont have to worry about that. Ive already gotten rid of the cat converter due to the fact i thought it was causing the motor to run bad so its already gone.
So if i can use the dizzy thats already in it i may do that temporarly untill i get an hei cuz i cant seem to find the malibus old one.
For the fuel pump you said your 89 had the hole for it but 92 didnt so i will check for that when i get home mines an 88 and if not i will just use a regulator on the in tank one
The tv cable i think i have a qjet bracket for it somewhere

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Turns out my buddy just pulled a set of heads off his sierra and they are true vortecs not the tbi with a carb intake im gonna see if i can talk him out of them

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
After looking at my block there is no block off plate at the fuel pump slot so i assuming that its not drilled out and il have to use the electric intank pump

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I wouldn't use the original distributor. Being locked into a set timing isn't a good thing.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
i probly wont. I just wish i put the malibus old hei somewhere i could find it

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
My tech guy at work mentioned somethin about a ground strap between the block and firewall? Would not having one throw 11 codes on the scanner and cause it to run bad? If its somethin that simple would it really effect my computer?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
In light of me being bored with no money to buy an intake carb and dizzy yet ive been playing with the truck thinking maybe il figure this out. Ive learned ive got no injector pulse while cranking if that helps anyone help me lol but will start with the throttle held down untill i idle it and dies again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor