350chevy into 86 regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Keep us posted as u go. If the throttle cable doesn't fit, then just buy a new one for the 305 Monte, Grand Prix, or Regal 4 Bbl cars.
The steel motor mounts r still available from GM or Salvage Yards. Midsize GMs and trucks from mid 70s up to at least 88 are the same. Mine r from 79 Chevy Truck. As long as they r from a SBC. The mount will bolt to the engine cradle with the lower forward corner hanging off. Only 3 bolt will hold it to the frrame. Removing the LCA will make it easier, but not necessity. Have a magnet ready for when u drop the bolts. I recommend using a magnet to pull the bolt up from the bottom and then put the nuts on top side. Much easier, especially when fighting to get around the fuel lines that r inside the frame rail. I've done this swap numerous times in Cutlasses, Montes, and a Regal. Not too hard at all. I hope I was able to help. If u need any more info, feel free to E-Mail me at [email protected]

86regalSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2006
one more question though. the engine im putting in the car has heads off a 80 something vette. they're angled plug heads, so you need special headers for them. Is there a company that makes headers for a g body with angled plug heads?

86regalSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2006
ok heres my progress so far.

the engine and trans are in the car. i used the stock trans mount and cross member, switch the speedo gear from the turbo 350 to the regal's cable, stock drive shaft, i got new upper motor mount brackets from GM dealerships, and new lower mounts from car quest, the engine and trans fit like a glove. I found someone who had a radiator and fan shroud along with cooler lines. the headers off the chevelle are going to fit perfect with pleanty of room to spare, which was the biggest reliefe of the day. the only problems i've run into so far are the power steering bracket. the pump that was on the chevelle is an old saginaw pump with a bracket that mounts to the front. the one off the regal is completly different so i think i'll have to fabricate a new one.

Also, the carburator is on a spacer, due to the quadrajet not fitting on the z28 manifold. and there was some goofy *ss linakge made for the kick down cable and return spring. so i'll have to make a throttle cable bracket also, but that should be fairly easy. that bad part, is that since the carb is on a spacer, it sets a little high. and with an air filter on it, it probably wont clear my stock hood.

also, the fuel pump off the regal had a line coming from the tank, a line going to the carb, and a line going back to the tank. the pump off the chevelle had a line going from the tank, and a line going to the carb..and thats it. do you think i'd just be able to cap off the return line and run it like that?

the only other problem i think i know of so far is that my brake booster plugs into the carb. but the fitting on the line is too big. thats not big deal though.

so thats whats happened so far, sorry for the long post and if i posted it any the wrong section. if you guys can give me some advice on any of this so far, or tell me where i can get a posi unit for my regal, i'd apprechiate it. thanks in advance.

86regalSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2006
the carb spacer is probably half an inch thick, where can i get the mr gasket air cleaner?

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Jegs and Summit sell the Drop Base Air Cleaners. Try a local parts store first, though. That way if it doesn't work, then u can return it a lot easier and no shipping.
The fuel pump, I wouldn't block it off. Just buy a new mechanical pump for it. The NAPA (Carter) part number is M6626. It has the return line that the car was set up for. This was a Chevy 350, right?
Just change the fitting on the carb for the right size booster hose and u should be OK. I'm assuming it has a thread in hose barb, most do.

86regalSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2006
i'd just like to thank everyone for lending their advice to me on this. I got everything finished up today and finally got to start it up. it sounded amazing. hopefully tomorrow i will be able to post a sound clip so you all can hear it. once again, I'd just like to say thanks for the help!

jeremie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor