BUILD THREAD 36x48x14 Shop Build Update 2/20/2024, Tire Machine is Finished!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
are you going to have a lift?
Yes, I already own a 2 post asymmetrical 9K, with the cable over, that I had at my old house outside. So I needed a 12 foot ceiling height at least for that. I'll clean up, service, and repaint the 2 post. A 4 post will come maybe next year, or if I find a deal on Marketplace or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Todays progress, the garage doors are framed, along with the rear 2 windows. They also did the eve trim and vented soffit and installed the man door.

A view from the woods.

20230329_152844.jpg

20230329_152901.jpg

Right side of the shop.

20230329_152927.jpg

Rear side view, you can see the windows.

20230329_152949.jpg

Inside view looking rearward. I have the windows set at 48 inches from the floor to have the window frames clear of work benches or tool boxes.

20230329_153301.jpg

Obviously at the rear looking forward. Most of my tools and work benches will be on that left wall, the man door wall, maybe. I'm still undecided of the layout.

20230329_153424.jpg

The crew claims they'll have the metal up tomorrow, we'll see! Supposed to be a crappy rainy day on Friday, and they are scheduled to install the garage doors that day. I will be away all weekend doing military things, so I won't have pics till Sunday night possibly Monday with Fridays progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Looks awesome

Since these are a thing I'll plan to do a garage build thread on mine, whenever it starts this summer. Pales in size to this but can't wait for more space.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Vented soffit so you're not doing spray foam? But I love the progress!

• Agree

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
You can do foam with a vented soffit as long as you put in the vinyl vent sections in the bay before the foam gets sprayed

113476eps

Sections get stood on end and stuffed into the stud bays, then the foam goes over them. Lets the air circulate between the outer wall board and allows heat to vent up and out through the soffit. The air movement keeps mold from forming due to moisture retention or build up.

Nick

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
In a standard stick frame building, you're correct. A majority of the benefit of spray foam is stopping the air transfer from inside to outside. It's been around long enough, all of the naysayers that still demanded barriers and air movement have been proven wrong. Seal the building as tight as possible, top to bottom.

• Agree

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Vented soffit so you're not doing spray foam? But I love the progress!
I leaning towards no at his point, cheapest price I got was 14K for ceiling and walls at about 2 inches (around r12-14). I am working additional options now.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If you have the time and ability, go buy a couple of cases of caulk, and a powered caulk gun. Go around every seam, or point of possible air intrusion. I know it may seem like overkill, but stopping drafts will help keep the heat in the building just as good as insulation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If you have the time and ability, go buy a couple of cases of caulk, and a powered caulk gun. Go around every seam, or point of possible air intrusion. I know it may seem like overkill, but stopping drafts will help keep the heat in the building just as good as insulation.

IMO not doing it is underkill. I'm looking at using zip (maybe zip r if I'm feeling frisky) sheathing on my upcoming house build and that's the idea, seal it up nice and tight. With that alone, you quickly approach passive house standards.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor