3in Exhaust too loud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New3ra

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2008
Right now my monte carlo has a 305, stock single exhaust with the cat (eww)

I just scored a free 3 IN Flowmaster dual exhaust, its the 2 pipes to the mufflers and it ends at the muffler right before the rear wheels. I also have a set of Hooker headers I got that are fairly new and nice, I have all the gaskets and the bolts and hangers, But do you think its going to be too loud? My dad said I should put on elbows on the end so it echos, but that will def be loud.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
My buddy ran long tubes and true straight back dual exhaust on his Cutlass with a 455 and Flowmaster 40 series on each side and it wasn't too loud. I would throw some turndowns on the end of the mufflers. If you are worried about it being too loud inside the car, then just finish the exhaust and run it over the axle and out the rear.

New3ra

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2008
RITTER said:
My buddy ran long tubes and true straight back dual exhaust on his Cutlass with a 455 and Flowmaster 40 series on each side and it wasn't too loud. I would throw some turndowns on the end of the mufflers. If you are worried about it being too loud inside the car, then just finish the exhaust and run it over the axle and out the rear.
I might just get some elbows and set the so the aim towards the door and make a side exit exhaust. I think it would be fine.

Bad78Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
It should be kinda lound but should sound real good. We just put Hooker Super Comp headers on the Cutlass, with 3" Flowmasters. And it made it sound good.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
not enough backpressure in a 3" system will hurt your low-end power.

But if it's free then then go for it.

New3ra

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2008
axisg said:
not enough backpressure in a 3" system will hurt your low-end power.

But if it's free then then go for it.

Yeah its free, already got it, its like new, also have all new mr gaskets; gaskets. header bolts new, and the other bolts, and clamps. Just decieding on tips, I dont think it should be to bad.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Too loud is a relative term dependent on what you are willing to tolerate. I would not do it, especially with turn downs since it would be intolerable. it will kill low end torque as compared to say, a 2.25 in system or even a 2.5 in system. The other thing is that it makes you a cop target as the noise will attract them like a light bulb does mosquitoes. People may also look down on you because it makes you look like a poser since you have all that noise but can't back it up. It's humiliating to have a loud car that can get smoked by a mom with a baby seat driving a 4 cyl minivan. I have a VERY loud car (1979 AMC Spirit with an AMC 360) and can't stand driving it. it has Hooker Super Comp headers, 2.5 in duals and the supposedly "quieter" Flowmaster Delta Chamber mufflers. It wakes the dead, but can barely crack the 13's. That cars tailpipes exit at the bumper too. I tried it with turn downs and you could hear it a mile away. It is almost as loud as open headers with the turn downs. Trust me, as someone who has hearing damage and tinnitus (persistent ear ringing), build a quieter car and you will like it more. Plus, you will still be able to hear 10 years from now too.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
On a low power engine, like a 305, the engine will be quieter with 3 inch duals than with 2 1/2 inch duals.

It will be loud, but not horrible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor