4 door cutlass - Fix or Find a 2 door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I have an '83 Cutlass Supreme 4 door that I traded for last winter just to drive back and forth to work and college. At first I didn't think it looked that great, I mean the body lines on the 2 doors are just so much cleaner, but I've had it for a while now and it's started to grow on me. It's a really dependable car and hasn't given me any trouble. The body is in fair shape - it needs a little body work and paint and wheels to look good and the 307 doesn't set any speed records, but I keep thinking of the potential it has. A stout 350, good trans and a limited slip rear end and it could be a fun car. It would probably be a great sleeper, but I just don't know if I want to sink very much money into a car that will never look as good as a 2 door. What do you guys think? Any feed back would be much appreciated. Thanks

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Being a 4 door owner, I originally thought the same thing about mine, good comuter/beater. However now, I honestly would not give it up for its 2 door sister, it's too damn handy, lol (literally a much better grocery getter). I got rid of my 2 door cars and kept the 4 door if that's any indicator (I like the look of the 2 door better too though, go figure). I look at it this way, keep the body work as cheap as possible, and the rest (drivetrain, suspension, etc) can always be swapped over to a 2 door car down the road if you get sick of looking at the extra doors. I wouldn't mess with a 4 door car that is a rust bucket though, that in my mind would be a waste of time and money you'll never get back. In the end it's up to you, but another thing to think about, is that the family car atracts much less attention, so you can sometimes get away with a little more if you know what I mean :lol: , not that I or anyone else does anything wrong. :roll:
Lets see some pics of what you're starting with! :D

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I haven't got my camera and computer stuff straightened out at home yet. I have to use a friend's computer or the school's right now. As soon as I get that all straightened out I'll post some pictures.

Oldsmoletick - I looked at your pics. Sharp ride. If I could get mine looking that good it would be worth the time and money.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Thanks, it's been a fun learning experience, lol.

gjlaw8

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2010
I dont think because it has 4 doors that it can't be a fun driver or sleeper. I've got a 9C1 Malibu coming and plan on a new crate motor and OD trans. With the police suspension, it should make a great driver and even decent mileage. A guy just sent me an email about a 81 9C1 Malibu for $1500, you could swap all suspension parts and fluid coolers. Also, the new CTS-V is the fastest V8 sports sedan in the world and has four doors.....................

Jerry
90 X-NCSHP Caprice
91 X-CHP Mustang
77 Nova 9C1
83 Malibu 9C1 (Coming Soon)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Another 4-door guy here. I bought mine for 2 reasons. It's a lot easier to load the kids into. And I just happened to be lucky enough to find a low mile one owned by an old lady that was the exact color I wanted. And like said earlier. Once I get sick of the extra doors, or after I get something else to haul the kids around in, I'm just gonna find a 2 door and swap all my goodies over. Also sleepers are fun. No one expects them to be fast, and the cops don't even give me a second look.

And I still gotta say, this looks pretty damn good for a 4-door.

26087_379219406422_554071422_4209249_4398517_n.jpg

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I finally got some pictures of the Olds uploaded.

Attachments

• Photo-0005_e1.jpg
    Photo-0005_e1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,096

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Opie Knievel said:
I finally got some pictures of the Olds uploaded.

Yeah I like that. Would make a great sleeper. Don't touch the body, leave it as it is and make it fast.

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
i seriously would keep my 2 door and build it cuz to me the body lines is what makes the g body that why i love the car JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor