4 Hi/Low beam conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
Recently I've been thinking up an idea that I'm quite sure would be worth doing. I have a Cutlass, and from factory, it has two 3 prong bulbs and two 2 prong ones. So when the low beams are on, the 3 prong headlights lights (the ones on the outside of the car) are on, and when you switch to highbeams, the outside headlights light up differently to shine farther, and the inside headlights light up.
Now, my question is, wouldn't it be a good idea to run 3 prong headlights for all four lights? That way, I'd have 4 headlights for my low beams (which would look sweet, and be twice as bright) and 4 for my high beams. I love the look of having all 4 headlights on, but nobody can see it since having the brights on isn't practical. I'm also wondering what kind of wiring changes I'd have to make to do this. Any opinions?

monte7carlo9

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2008
WA State
I helped my buddy do exactly what you're talking about on his 83 Monte. He drove it for about a week until he got pulled over by a patrol man. Apparently in WA state it is illegal to have four bulbs on as Low beams. We had to change them back, but they were nice while he had them.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
I do know around here you will get "bright lighted" a lot where people will flash their lights at you to dim yours. If you must have brighter lights, try halogens, LED's, or heaven forbid, Xenon HID's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor