403 or sbc 355

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
For the record, there is no 'displacement' for 'cubic inches'

Sure, you can buy all kinds of cheap stuff for the 355, I would go with the 403 because its an Olds. Don't worry about a whole lotta' horsepower, torque is where its at, it moves mountains.

novadave1973

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
I have decided to go with the sbc...found a guy today that had a monte with a/c so I got the bracket and compressor but somebody had already cut the a/c lines...wht a shame....I need to find another donor car for the a/c lines..and possibly the cruise module and diaphragm.. not sure how that gonna work on my vortec intake and the edelbrock intake...but if I gotta go with out cruise it wont be the end of the world...time to start getting together some other parts...still looking for a 8.5 rear to slide under the buick an gonna need a shift kit and prolly rebuild kit for the 200r4... would like to get ahold of a 3200 rpm converter but that might have to wait. i am hoping to get some pics of the before on the buick the current on the nova and the 78 monte in the past...I love this site....g body forum rocks

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
A built motor vs a stock motor. Sorry the built motor wins. but if your gonna keep the 403, strip the mess out of the 307 bc you will need every accessory part and bracket. IMO the 403 has the potential to waste the 355. The olds 403 can be built as a torque monster or for HP. the HP route will cost you serious bucks, but has been done many times and reliably.
As for your 355, as said earlier, get all sbc parts for the accessories. You'll be fine. Look for a light weight olds for the 403 :mrgreen:
T

novadave1973

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
well i put the 355 in the regal....with some help from the members here it was pretty much effortless...minus the fact i left my ps pump in the nova chassis when i sold that..so had to get some new used brackets....i had to rush to get it done to cruise at the adirondack nationals this weekend..so its not exactly the way i wanted it...but its in and running....the transmission pan was leaking...i mean pouring fluid. no gasket just silicone...the pan was full of junk...so guess that will be coming out for a rebuild soon. but i wont be punishing it too much with the 2.56 gears...

novadave1973

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
DRIVEN said:
Glad it all worked out.
well it woulndt say its all worked out yet...i had broken the damn heater core at some point which i didnt notice till i was ready to install the heater hoses....i dont have the a/c or cruise hooked up yet.. and the oil pan is leaking...grrrr.. pretty much just threw it together to cruie this weekend at the adirondack nationals....now once i get moved into a place i can realy work on it...ill undo everthing i did this summer and do it all the right way...but sure had fun cruising this weekend...kinda wished i had found some gears for the 7.5 rear end cause the 2.56 sure dont do the motor any justice at low speeds....but she is a bear top end now...85mph+ just breathing on the gas pedal....looking forward to digging in and making the regal the way it should be...thanks for everyones input..

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
At least you got to enjoy it. We'd all love to see a build thread. If you do one, leave a link here so we know where to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor