403 vs 403

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
the Olds 403 is identical to all other small block olds engines externally, there was never a pontiac 403...

BBCCARGUY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2008
Iowa
needing a 350

Hey all.... As for the 403 it has the same crank as the 350 so finding nodular cranks wont be so bad I have twisted the 350 pretty high in the rpm band and had really good luck the 403 would be good for street driving and having alot of power on the pump and not needing very steep gears, if you plan on twisting them to the 6,000 rpm range for longer time frames you should look into restriction kits to keep oil to the rods and the upper componants.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Re: needing a 350

BBCCARGUY said:
Hey all.... As for the 403 it has the same crank as the 350 so finding nodular cranks wont be so bad I have twisted the 350 pretty high in the rpm band and had really good luck the 403 would be good for street driving and having alot of power on the pump and not needing very steep gears, if you plan on twisting them to the 6,000 rpm range for longer time frames you should look into restriction kits to keep oil to the rods and the upper componants.

I dont think I would rev a 403 to 6000 RPM on a regular basis. They are known for being weak blocks. If you plan on reving it up a lot, plan on getting a girdle to hold it together.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Re: needing a 350

BBCCARGUY said:
Hey all.... As for the 403 it has the same crank as the 350 so finding nodular cranks wont be so bad

Why bother with a 350 crank when the forged 330 crank also drops in. You'll need to balance either one for the 403 rods and pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor