427 Tall deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannaBeGTP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2008
Alright so I know I've asked around about a few different set ups and about the 3.8 regal t-type turbo kit I have, but I have finally settled on a motor and bought it from a good friend.
As the title reads I have a tall deck 427 big block with HEI ignition and the standard 600cfm holley four barrel.

I was wondering if anyone has links to one that has been installed in a g-body or know of some of the things I'll have to change.

I noticed just from eyeing things up I may have to change to a smaller brake booster unit as I'm thinking the valve cover will be up in that area.

Also I was wondering what a good choice of a rear end to swap to would be. Keeping in mind I'm a 20 year old apprentice mechanic who is on a fairly strict budget. But I don't plan on having it done next week either.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
well it is no different than putting a big block into a g body car. your brake booster will be fine. there are a few people that have done it on here. BBC cutty i know has just finished his BB swap. as for a rear end, try to find a 12 bolt from a 66-67 chevelle they are pretty much a bolt in. here are some other links for you too.

http://www.maliburacing.com/ just go to the tech section and click on Big block chevy into your g bodie.

WannaBeGTP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks for the info.

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
Not sure how much of a bolt in that rear end is and they will be harder to find than an 8.5.
Look for anyone parting out a GN /T type or 442. They have the 8.5 diff that is a direct bolt in.

WannaBeGTP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2008
Alright thanks, I'll try and keep my eyes open for one.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It will probably be a tighter fit than a passenger car BBC because of the deck height difference. It may have issues with the heater box and hood. I am guessing it is out of a HD truck from the 60's?

WannaBeGTP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2008
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
It will probably be a tighter fit than a passenger car BBC because of the deck height difference. It may have issues with the heater box and hood. I am guessing it is out of a HD truck from the 60's?

That would be correct, Heater box and a/c will be gone though as this will be a summer cruiser only. And putting the windows down is good enough for me.

The taller deck height was the reason I mentioned the brake booster and the hood is getting replaced with a fibreglass cowl hood.

WannaBeGTP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2008
Btw this is the car that will be undergoing the transplant. I currently drive it every day. And being a canadian car it's in pretty damn good shape to. Plus it has only 137,***kms on it.

n585895404_2818759_983.jpg

n585895404_2818760_1260.jpg

n585895404_2818761_1497.jpg

n585895404_3017075_222.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor