442 Dilemma...maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
I have owned T-top cars since '89 and on one hand I can count the number of times I have had them off while driving. In the summer, the sun beats down and it gets hot. However, you can get the little sun shield insert to solve that issue. You may have leaks, but new seals will almost always solve that. Then, you will have rattles. These are the hardest to solve. Stiffer suspension helps, cross-bracing helps, even new seals help. But, nothing seems to get rid of it.
So, for me the ONLY good thing about T-Tops is the additional head clearance since I am fairly tall. If not for that, I wouldn't even consider it. I still don't consider it for any car that sits outside all the time and/or daily driver. There's my 2 cents worth...

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
83hurst-olds said:
I have owned T-top cars since '89 and on one hand I can count the number of times I have had them off while driving. In the summer, the sun beats down and it gets hot. However, you can get the little sun shield insert to solve that issue. You may have leaks, but new seals will almost always solve that. Then, you will have rattles. These are the hardest to solve. Stiffer suspension helps, cross-bracing helps, even new seals help. But, nothing seems to get rid of it.
So, for me the ONLY good thing about T-Tops is the additional head clearance since I am fairly tall. If not for that, I wouldn't even consider it. I still don't consider it for any car that sits outside all the time and/or daily driver. There's my 2 cents worth...

Points taken, but you have to admit...t-tops off in the Spring looks cool as hell. 8)

leftrightother

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
Crap I wish i could have dilemmas like that. Where I live there is almost no G bodys left. I can count how many I have seen in the last year on one hand and that is counting mine that is in my garage for the last year and a half.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
K.I.S.S.

unless theres a lot of rust on the olds in your sig

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
leftrightother said:
Crap I wish i could have dilemmas like that. Where I live there is almost no G bodys left. I can count how many I have seen in the last year on one hand and that is counting mine that is in my garage for the last year and a half.

Funny when all of my parts for this car are made in Canada. And yeah, its a good dilemma :D

What does K.I.S.S. mean?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
crucial118 said:
What does K.I.S.S. mean?

keep it simple stupid . you've got a nice driveable car sitting there, make it work and go for a drive!

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Point taken and it drives great.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
If you dont get it I will ..

Always room for a dozen more LOL
Allot of good parts to be had there . I'M looking for solid 1 to do up how I want as MY 442 is staying stock.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
FE3X CLONE said:
It's just a 442. It's not like it's some rare Duesenberg worth $1m. Besides, everything that made the 442 anything "special" is gone. Engine, trans, rear, gauges, etc.

just a 442? just around only 11,000 total made in 85-87.... the 442(and H/O) is the ultimate package when it comes to the cutlass. not to mention in the long run its gonna hold more value, maybe not today but in 10 years.... makes me sick seeing a car that clean especially a 442 even be considered for parts. on top of all of that just being able to say you have a 442 is much more impressive than saying i have a cutlass.... i have a calais and a 442 and i get allot more reaction from people when i say i have a 442 and especially with t tops. t tops are awesome! and as far as a chevy motor, ignore everyone on it, its your car so build it how you want. plus fuel injection is a great when modernizing a old school car. it takes a expensive efi kit to make a efi olds motor....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor