442 Lightning Rods

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
Lots of discussion around this topic, but I haven’t seen a definitive statement: were Lightning Rod shifters offered as an option on the 1985 442?

Related question: on the 83-84 Hurst, was there a separate RPO code for the Lightning Rods?

Thanks, friends

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
No separate RPO code for the LR shifters. The "over the counter" Lightning Rods were a tad different than the factory 4 speed ones. The H/O rods were darn near even across, where the speed shop versions had taller center rod for sure.

1985 442 had only ONE shifter availability and it was the stock single stick with the side pushbutton like every other Cutlass with a TH200-4R shifter in the RPO D55 console with AR9 front reclining buckets.

There were plenty of RPOS pointing to a specialty car, like trim deletes and VD6 and VD7 for painted bumpers and such, but the BIG RPO that made everything happen was the W40. It's also embossed on the body cowl tag.

Here's the SPID from my 85 442. Has every option available with the exception of the monitor lamps and block heater. Well, and the power moonroof since I opted for the T-tops.
View attachment 218041

And here's my 84 H/O SPID repro prototype. It's not totally loaded, but you won't see Lightning Rods RPOs on it or anything.
View attachment 218040
Thanks for the detailed info. You are telling me what I THOUGHT was true, but I had no proof.

L92 OLDS 2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2023
SW Michigan
Thanks for the detailed info. You are telling me what I THOUGHT was true, but I had no proof.
Not wanting to confuse this matter - but I've got a record from my brothers notes that states the 1984 Hurst Olds Lightning Rods RPO was W47. Not sure where this came from... take it for what it's worth.
Mine (4spd) came from an original '84 H/O and now is linked to a 4L80E.

Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Not wanting to confuse this matter - but I've got a record from my brothers notes that states the 1984 Hurst Olds Lightning Rods RPO was W47. Not sure where this came from... take it for what it's worth.
Mine (4spd) came from an original '84 H/O and now is linked to a 4L80E.
He might of been confused with K47 style car, that's what the W40 was used on.
There was a RPO W47 used in 84 it was just used on the Olds Firenza. This is the information I have.
20230508_192158.jpg
20230508_192236.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor