442 questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
is the gold painted on or is it a decal??..

the 442 specific parts are what?...not mechanical parts appearance..

no vinyl roof, the decal package, buckets and console, spoiler??..

thinking of having mine painted like a 422.. just not sure if it's worth cloneing

Decals.

HO-307 engine, 200-4r trans, 8.5" rear-end

442's didn't have wings, the Hurst\Olds did though

It's your money for the paint & decals.

well i just herad of people doing it then getting ragged on for it.. by purist's who go up and cant tell till they read the vin#..

I say WTF, go for it. Look at how many fake SS & COPO Camaros there are. Who cares what the "purists" say.

Anyone who busts your balls for it are most likely just jealous anyhow & couldn't afford the real thing or a "fake" :roll:

Also, the 442's had no stainless trim on the bottom like many of the supremes, salons, and calais of the era.

1987 was the only year that the interior inserts were different than the Cutlass Salon. 1987 was based on the Cutlass Supreme. I reshot mine in body color for a mild custom look. It looks much better.

Here's a pic to show you

442002.jpg

If you want more pics, I'll be happy to send them your way. [/img]

i only see very few asthtic differnces.. are those turn signal things on the front fenders??

so far i have removed my chrome body trim, vinyl roof and side moulding..
'i may just do it.. i dont think 99% of people could tell really..

The turn signals are in the header panel on all 87-88 2 door Cutlasses. Also, the upper door panels of the 85-86 cars have a 442 logo instead of the Brougham or Salon script there on those models. IIRC, the 442's also had silver trim instead of the woodgrain used on all other Cutlass models. Frankly, who cares what the snobs think? If it's what you want to do, you're not hurting anyone unless you try to misrepresent it during a sale. My car looks like a factory Chevy small block install under the hood-but the purists would note they never were offered. I don't care, it's what I wanted. Most G bodies that were not turbo Regals were VERY unmemorable cars in stock form ( High 15's-low 16's from a "Performance" V8?), so to me they are perfect for turning them into whatever you want them to be.

true enuf.. what is the things on fenders?? vent or somthing?

i also spy it dosent have a hood emblem..
should be good next year... cant wait for the engine werk to start..

so they seem not that hard to clone...

cars been at body werk for..4 weeks.. not even in paint yet.. i guess they keep finding stuff on thing after another..

crappycutlass said:
true enuf.. what is the things on fenders?? vent or somthing?

i also spy it dosent have a hood emblem..
should be good next year... cant wait for the engine werk to start..

so they seem not that hard to clone...

cars been at body werk for..4 weeks.. not even in paint yet.. i guess they keep finding stuff on thing after another..
The things on the fender are fiber optic indicators that show which of the front lights, turn signals, etc are on. They went out of fashion with the 80's and can be traced back to the 60's and maybe even the 50's. The hood emblem should be there, it may just be the lighting and angle the picture was taken at that is blocking it. The only G body Cutlass I know of that was made without one from the factory was the 1983 Hurst/Olds 15th anniversary car. It has a commemorative rectangular emblem in it's place, and a faux hood scoop and block off strips on the hood that eliminate the stainless trim down the middle.

Actually my 442 in the pic has a a delete panel made from a piece of hood trim. I didn't like the idea of a hood ornament on a 442.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor