'80 442 Vortec swap won't run...

Have you had the valve covers off?

Broken springs, stuck open valves?

I don't remember if you said you cranked it over with covers off and visually verified all the movement of rockers, valves, etc...
Yes, took off both today, to see if lifting evenly, or at all... all work, and half are loose, because they aren't fully pumped up, yet... finally dribbling a little oil off rockers... Nothings broken, valve and springs appear functional... Probably wouldn't hurt to tap tips, see if they're fully seated...

Last edited:
Pretty sure I figured it out... I should have caught it yesterday, when I had valve covers off, but focused on every other rocker having been adjusted with a gap, thinking the lifters weren't fully pumped up... The culprit valves, that appeared adjusted with no gap, are actually a little too tight, and not allowing the valves to fully seat, therefore builds no compression, while cranking... Which is why I felt draw, but no pressure, with finger test...
Will adjust rockers, and confirm assessment tomorrow....

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor