454 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
What's your budget? How it's done (building a big-block) directly impacts the comparison to an LS based swap.

That being said, an '86 vintage truck 454 was considered a "smog dog". Low compression dished pistons, low rpm based Peanut Port heads, tiny cam (lift & valve timing events), engine spark timing, limited induction, & weak exhaust all contributed to minimal horse-power w/some torque. Change a few things up & they can be tire/driveline killers.

An LS will definitely be lighter & more efficient in stock form.
I have about $2000 set aside for my engine right now but I can build that up over time. I make most of my money in the summer so I can add a lot more to the budget.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I have about $2000 set aside for my engine right now but I can build that up over time. I make most of my money in the summer so I can add a lot more to the budget.

Since you're not racing this set-up, it sounds as though the intent is a street cruiser. The 454 definitely has a leverage advantage vs. an LS from a budget perspective. Torque is what gets the program moving on the street.

Boring the block out as needed (hopefully less than .060" should get it done), adding some flat-top pistons, the previously mentioned 781 Oval Port heads, a decent mid-range spec'd cam, a good dual plane hi-rise intake (perf RPM), good ignition, & exhaust (1 3/4 primary tubes into 3" collectors, & 2.5" min. duals) can be done for under/around that number. That will definitely put the hurt on some rubber.

Of course, the rest of the combo needs to be matched to yield the best results. Poor/miss-matched converter stall, gearing, and/or a crap suspension set-up can all make an impact but it also holds true w/an LS based swap. Affordable LS swaps are the 5.3/4l60e truck/Tahoe donor platform which can yield 300hp to the wheels in street trim. The big-block specs mentioned above can match that while producing a bunch more torque.

Reactions: 1 user

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Since you're not racing this set-up, it sounds as though the intent is a street cruiser. The 454 definitely has a leverage advantage vs. an LS from a budget perspective. Torque is what gets the program moving on the street.

Boring the block out as needed (hopefully less than .060" should get it done), adding some flat-top pistons, the previously mentioned 781 Oval Port heads, a decent mid-range spec'd cam, a good dual plane hi-rise intake (perf RPM), good ignition, & exhaust (1 3/4 primary tubes into 3" collectors, & 2.5" min. duals) can be done for under/around that number. That will definitely put the hurt on some rubber.

Of course, the rest of the combo needs to be matched to yield the best results. Poor/miss-matched converter stall, gearing, and/or a crap suspension set-up can all make an impact but it also holds true w/an LS based swap. Affordable LS swaps are the 5.3/4l60e truck/Tahoe donor platform which can yield 300hp to the wheels in street trim. The big-block specs mentioned above can match that while producing a bunch more torque.
Thank you

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Sticking with the big block will be most budget friendly depending how you spend your cash ,btw comp cams extreme energy 268h cam , works extremely well with them flat tops got a nice lump to it ,if you stick with flat tops like barely 8 to 1 static compression ,and a rpm intake

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
496!
496!
496!

Why go small (496) when you can go big
Sticking with the big block will be most budget friendly depending how you spend your cash ,btw comp cams extreme energy 268h cam , works extremely well with them flat tops got a nice lump to it ,if you stick with flat tops like barely 8 to 1 static compression ,and a rpm intake
Flat tops in a 4.28" x 4.00 stroke block w/119cc heads is only 8.0:1 compression??
Seems that should be about 9.0 easy.
*edit* I just realized I typed 'flat-top' but my set-up w/the 781's has a mini dome ( -18 ) & thats what I was basing my numbers off of. Should be close to 9 - 9.25:1. My dually motor is similar but w/the flat-top piston & has smog/Peanut Port heads (also around 119cc). It is closer to 8.0:1.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
496 is a good option on a budget since it saves the cost of the block but with the cost of a balanced rotating assembly at just under $1600 it might still not be considered budget friendly plus you have to add the cost of machine work and assembly for the short block if you are not doing it yourself.
Skip White has a few selections to choose from:

Anything larger than low 500 CI requires an aftermarket block or a tall deck truck block with more stroke but the .400 taller deck will also create fitment issues in a Gbody.
If the budget is really low then a rebuild of the 454 with an overbore and higher compression pistons can still give a good foundation to make power and if you focus on good flowing heads and a matching camshaft with it there will be plenty of power
We all have to start somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor