454 engine mounts

1300gsxr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2016
so i bought a roller 78 malibu, i am planning on putting a 496 rat motor in it with the 400 turbo w transbrake. i have the hooker headers and the correct crossmember, i just dont know , do i use the exsisting fram mounts with engine clamshell or is there something stronger that i can use? thank you in advance.

Assuming it had a SBC in it prior the clamshell mounts will work, if these are the engine swap headers then it will say in the directions about cutting a notch in the driver's side mount (very easy).
Stonger would be urethane frames mounts and then solid mounts would the strongest,
Long ago I ran a healthy 496 BBC in my Monte with stock engine mounts and no issues

So this is the roller I bought. It has a ford rear end and a small roll cage that I plan on replacing with something better. It has stock suspension though and if I put in the 496 I believe it’s gonna sink, haha, planning on getting the umi upper and lower control arm kit and the rear. I have a set of brand new coil overs for a c5 corvette that I would like to try and fit in there but don’t know if they’ll work.

Attachments

• IMG_5251.jpeg
    IMG_5251.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5250.jpeg
    IMG_5250.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5247.jpeg
    IMG_5247.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7691.jpeg
    IMG_7691.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: 2 users
I agree, you can get the solid frame mounts and still use the clamshell motor mount set up. I had bought this set but sold the car before putting the 468 in it.

More important than a coil over is getting a shock that is adjustable and having a low rate spring to hold up the car. My race car was 3200 lbs and I used a 138 rate rear coil over spring.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor