50k SS

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Meh. I'm not going to buy it so I don't care. It's just that if you look at it from an annual basis, it's like 50 miles PER YEAR. So I'm sure some years it sat and sat and sat...low miles like that is great...to a point. Note they have it listed as a FWD. WTF?

They do seem open to offers, but they don't even show any under-car shots or under-hood shots at all. You would THINK they'd at least open the hood. And it'd be nice to have documentation just for that extra plus. Maybe it has it?

While the condition is overall very nice, I'd fear trying to really enjoy the car the way it was meant to be. For a bit over that $50K, I know where you could get a very low-mile, late model 2013, 6 speed MT, ZL1 convertible, with, oh, say, 2900 miles on it that's 100 times more fun to drive than this car and 4 times the HP. :)

But the real story is there are likely only 5 people in America left that bought a blue 84 Monte SS new and want to relive that experience AND are willing to pay $50K for that memory to come to life. Sure, maybe a wealthy collector would buy it and stash it away. $50K isn't anything to those guys. I do like the fact it has what I consider the "rarer" bucket seats. It seems like all I ever saw with the early Monte SSs were bench seats. Doesn't make them bad, but buckets are better.

Notice that while we'd like to think G-body lovers are everywhere, they're not. Sure, they may LIKE them, but they don't go seeking them out, and cringe if they have to pay over $5K for a decent one. They don't value them like WE do.

It takes a special kind of G-body person to open up their checkbook to something like this. There will be someone to do it, I'm sure.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My old 85 SS had a little under 13K on the clock and it went for half that price. Thats a lot of money to spend on a g body. Maybe if it was a turbo Buick

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Boy it's a nice one. Asking price is steep and would seem to be only something a rich collector might want. If I had it (if I could afford it) I don't think I would want to drive it much.....not willing to rack up miles. I think I'll stay with my 260,000 mile SS and feel okay driving it when I want. :giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I hope he sells it so that mine is worth more:wax:

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
That looks like the same car that went for $50-$60K with < 500 miles on it last year. Guy commented on the site here, was asking about his turn signal lever.

Guess he got bored of it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I believe you are correct. It very well may be the same car.

If it is, one thing for sure, the A/C probably doesn't work. Or if it does, not too well. Looking at the old BaT pics, the compressor bottom has oil all over it and down on the upper a-arms and frame appear to have oil spread around on them. Which says to me the O-rings on the compressor body are/were leaking. Common issue. Probably very saveable, though. It's a 198 compressor, so it very likely has a single lip shaft seal too, which is also prone to leaks.

The biggest issue with any of those pancake compressors, besides the body O-ring seal leaks, is that the sealing rings on the pistons are partially exposed at their lowest point. And they SWELL UP. If you've ever taken an old R4 compressor sitting around for years, even a new or rebuilt one, sometimes you'll think they're locked up. They just need a little massaging to get them moving again. Whatever you do, though, DO NOT use the 9/16" shaft nut to turn the compressor. The skinny little shaft end could break or threads strip out if it doesn't want to budge. Use a compressor holding tool to start rocking it back and forth. Working enough with it, you should be able to get it rotating.

It would be great to own the car, but the issue is you're paying a premium for the ultra-low miles, and you'll lose that premium if you drive it around and rack up the mileage. So you pay $50K, and end up with a $20K car in a year. Is it worth it? If you got money to burn, go for it. But this kind of pricing means it's now a museum piece for many, I'm afraid.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Looks like Magnum360 took a $19k loss on that deal...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor