Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Sounds like you're well on your way...

If you didn't already know, a few tips I've picked up on the way with these:

If you need nicer, or decide to go after spares, for the middle row seats, or, want to switch captains chair/bench one way or another, there's two types - 2000-2002, and, 03-06. Supposedly the mounts and lever latches work differently and don't swap without changing floor provisions (I assume cutting and welding involved from what I'm told.) Also, the shorter door yukon/tahoe/escalade not a donor for the 2nd row, but is for front. Middle is yukon xl/burb/escalade esv.

There's 2 cat and 4 cat versions of the exhaust on the 8.1, but, it was computer selected and not a california/federal emissions split thing. What headers are out there don't work on the 4 cat version as they end in the middle of a converter. It can be changed, but, needs plenty of work because you supposedly lose sensors along with cars and need to mess with things. Doable, but, just know what you're getting into before spending money.

Since you're towing, be cognizant of your rear ratio. It'll pull anything you put behind it with ease. Having driven both, the 3.73s feel every bit as strong as the 4.10s. However, gm rated the 3.73s 2000# less in gvwr and the dot nazis could give you an expensive lesson over it.

If the 10000# vs 12000# rating matters to you, well, there's guys who do things with stickers....just mentioning.

Door jamb stops at 45psi even though elsewhere, at least in my manual, says 80psi rear when towing. Tire monkeys need to be reminded, especially since you're towing. Or make sure yourself anyways.

With relatively minor adjustments in the front end/grille you can put a HD series hood on the truck which really changes the aggressiveness appearance wise, if you're into it...
All great tips from you, as usual. I did not know about the middle seat interchange, but mine is in good shape. It spends most of the time folded down anyway. I have the 2 cat version, and I don't think I'll be adding headers. The reading I have done shows the throttle body, intake, and cam are the choke points on this engine. It will probably all stay stock. I do know that the 4.10 gears are preferred, and mine has 3.73. I have already pulled a 4.10 in the junkyard, used an old bedliner to slide it out from underneath the Burban, and it was so freaking heavy, I could not not load it. I had to leave it. Can you believe that?? Next time i went back, it was gone. Go figure... I did all the work! I'll probably never have more than 10k , but I will still be on the lookout for a 4.10 axle, since I have 265's mounted on stock aluminum wheels. I have 65 psi in the tires, and bump it to 80 psi in the rear, when towing. I will get the HD hood. I have been looking for one in my color, since I don't want to pay for paint, and it won't match 21 year old paint anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
All great tips from you, as usual. I did not know about the middle seat interchange, but mine is in good shape. It spends most of the time folded down anyway. I have the 2 cat version, and I don't think I'll be adding headers. The reading I have done shows the throttle body, intake, and cam are the choke points on this engine. It will probably all stay stock. I do know that the 4.10 gears are preferred, and mine has 3.73. I have already pulled a 4.10 in the junkyard, used an old bedliner to slide it out from underneath the Burban, and it was so freaking heavy, I could not not load it. I had to leave it. Can you believe that?? Next time i went back, it was gone. Go figure... I did all the work! I'll probably never have more than 10k , but I will still be on the lookout for a 4.10 axle, since I have 265's mounted on stock aluminum wheels. I have 65 psi in the tires, and bump it to 80 psi in the rear, when towing. I will get the HD hood. I have been looking for one in my color, since I don't want to pay for paint, and it won't match 21 year old paint anyway.
When moving an insanely freaking heavy differential here's how I do it: leave some tires/rims on.

You use the ol end over end trick. No 5 foot fall is a heavier drop load than a 7000# truck dropping into a pothole. Once one end flips down onto the end of your truck remove the tire on end inside bed. Then you push her in until the center section is on bed, and, remove the 2 lugs that were holding the one ground tire still on. Now physics says it's almost balanced to begin with, and, most weight is held in center section or half that's in the truck. Very little lifting required.

As for the hood match.... modified versions of the 'sport truck' stripes from the 70s squarebodies look good for splitting up paint mismatch. Your truck I'd imagine shades of silver/grey/black in the stripes. May just be acquired taste and me liking squarebodies though.

Just food for thought, as always, and appreciate the compliment as much as the wife yould disagree with you :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor