7.5" clutch refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I watched the video and I can handle doing this process. Take a look at the 5:20 mark in the video where he is putting the spring pack back in. The case in the video doesnt have a ring gear on it. It looks like he could still have enough clearance to install the spring pack even if the ring gear was on the case. What do you think? Does the ring gear have to be off to do this job?

We rebuilt the Eaton unit in the 8.5 for my brothers 74 Monte Carlo last summer using the videos from Tom's Differentials YouTube channel.
It is much easier to perform the rebuild with the ring gear off than having the added weight and sharp edges to protect hands and fingers from. In Tom's videos we needed the ring gear bolt holes to turn the case with a spanner to bench seat the new clutch packs. links are below. We also used a small c clamp for installing the spring pack rather than the big channel lock pliers method.
Hope this helps.

I agree, I think its easier to work with the bare flange over the gear. And why would you want to risk damaging a tooth if the carrier rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor