7.5" Rear End

Status
Not open for further replies.

kegkicker9

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2007
I have a 7.5" rear end in my Cutlass. Its completely stock with a posi from the factory. I was wondering what the maximum horsepower and torque it could handle was. The car is going to be a street car, with regular street tires on it, and I'd like to swap in 3.42 gears. I'm only 16 and I cant really afford to swap it out right now, but I also dont want to be breaking axles and other components all the time. The most horsepower I plan on putting through it is maybe around 300. Will this work or no?? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
R/T kota said:
With a good gear set you should be ok as long as you dont put a sticky tire on it.
You should be fine. You'd be suprized how tough they are. If you already have a posi carrier that set up should be stonger than an open rear end. It took me a while for my stock 7.5 to give out. You should be fine

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's fine on the street with normal street tires. Remember that the LS1 F bodies came with it stock ( with a slightly better 7 5/8 ring gear) and they are usually ok. Just stay away from slicks or sticky street tires and you should be fine. I have about 350 HP going through mine and have never had a problem using street tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor