7.5" to 8.5"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2006
My 80 cutlass had a 7.5 10 bolt but I blew it up with my old 3.8. I'm going with a 8.5 from a 442. Do I have to shorten the drive shaft? If so how much?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
both diffs use the same driveshaft....mh GP has the 7.5 and I had to borrow a driveshaft from a GN which has the 8.5...it was a perfect fit

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
If you use the driveshaft from the 7.5" you will have to shorten it exactly 1". If you get the driveshaft that was on that 442 it obviously doesn't need any modification. I had my driveshaft shortened and balanced with new u-joints for $130 when I went with a 8.5".

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
looks like I might have been mistaken....the driveshaft I used from the GN may well have been 1" shorter but it went unnoticed since it was only thrown in for a day......

mrapii....thanks for pointing it out.... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor