700 R4 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
There is a guy at my work with a mustang and he put a 350 chevy with a 700 r4 in it. The car is apparently too far gone for him to want to keep it and he cant seem to get rid of it. He says he's going to crush it next week. The transmission has apparently been rebuilt by him a few years ago with a shift kit and a 2200-2500 stall convertor. We've talked cars before and its only recently that he has decided to smush it, and has offered me the transmission for $400.
I am no expert at transmissions, butI consider myself relatively informed in the 2004r vs 700r4 debate. I agree with the general census here that the 2004r is a better choice. HOWEVER, I'm 21 and for some strange reason I haven't claimed my lotto jackpot yet? :wtf: I also have all the parts to make a 700r4 or 2004r work in my car.

So naturally, I am interested in this transmission, but a couple red flags went up when I was questioning him about his 700r4.
1)First, will a later model (early 90s? computer controlled?) 700r4 work if there is no computer to control it? (don't think I'm refering to the 460LE or whatever it is. it has the tv cable)
2) Will a 700r4 work properly without the tv cable connected? From using the search here and setting my own tv, I'm pretty sure its the most vital part on these trannys. He says that it will work fine you just have no kickdown. :wtf: I refrained from arguing cuz I'm used to getting the "I was building transmissions before you were out of your diapers" speech.
3) Is a do-it-yourself rebuild on these trannys possible for someone of a moderate knowledgebase of cars? I thought 3 speeds were easy, overdrives not so much.

I know my knowledge is limited, thats why I'm looking for opinions on my favorite board. He claims that these later model 700 r4s will work and are better and stronger. I know the later models usually are, but he went on to say it didnt shift right at first but after he kept driving it, it broke itself in.(biggest red flag right there) He also claims to know others who have done similar swaps in this manner without a problem. He seems to know his stuff, but my nose is telling me something doesnt smell quite right.
I probably would have never even bothered considering it BUT THEN he told me the trannys still in the car and I can see it in action if I come to his place. How likely is it to perform well for a few nice peelouts then start slipping like a **** once I buy it? I know there are vendors selling the trannys I want with a warranty but $1400 before shipping and no stall convertor is going to hurt my wallet. I want a reliable cruiser but I dont want to be scared to abuse it a little or take it down the strip once or twice a year. I've got 3.08s and am really considering going to a 3 spd but everyone seems to be talking me out of it. What would you do on a tighter budget?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
It will not function properly without a TV cable. A tv cable is not the same as a kick down cable, it serves more purposes than a kickdown cable. If it has a TV cable it is not computer controlled. It still will need a lock up switch however. Sounds like the guy does not really know what he is talking about. Might be worth it but its up to you. Good luck

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
The later 700r4 were built stronger from the factory and they had the 30 spline input shaft, vs. the earlier 27 spline shafts...They had an electronic lock up switch with the computers, however these transmission's are being put in older cars all the time w/o the computers/electronics...YOu can get a lock up switch from B and M, Summit and several other places as well...If you decide not to run the lock up, which is what I did, You WILL need a converter conversion valve from TransGo.Com part # 7-ccv. This valve redirects the flow of fluid in your transmission so you don't cook it....You have to use a TV cable and make sure it's set properly otherwise that transmission won't last long...YOur red flag is correct, no such thing as a transmission breaking in before it shifts correctly..maybe he had the TV cable adjusted incorrectly....Check out this MOnth's Chevy Hi Performance Mag, August 2011, there is a decent article about the GM O/D transmissions...Not to stir the 2004r vs 700r4 pot again but a quote from TCI's Stan Poff " When it comes to horsepower capacity, the upper hand goes to the 700-r4" 8) Either way they are both great transmission's as long as they are built right...

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
Thanks for the opinions guys. It seems just ask and I shall receive...just found this add just posted local to me...
8.5 diff from grand national 3:42 gear with posi Will bolt into any G body car $900
Also have 1987 grand national engine complete with harness $1500 obo.
200 r4 BRF grand national trans $500
Lots of other Grand National and Regal parts for sale

Guy says driveline has about 100k on it.....seems cheap to me in my area anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor